400ex jetting question - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

400ex jetting question

i have a 01 400ex with a 440 big bore kit that im going to put a lexx mxe pipe on and run a uni air filter and i would like to know what jets to run. my elevation is right at 1050 feet above sea level. to run it temporarily could put on the uni with the stock slip on without messing anything up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - you need to run it with the jetting that's in the carb

Changing the exhaust usually only requires increasing the size of the main jet by about 2 sizes larger than what is currently installed - it's changes to the intake that affect jetting most noticeably. Boring an engine does not affect the jetting. The carb is jetted for the flow characteristics of the carb, the fuel being used and the restrictions of the intake filtration system, not the size of the engine. Altitude is not a critical consideration unless above 6000 feet, then the jet sizes need to be decreased to compensate for the 'thin air'.

If installing a UNI filter in the stock air box, no jet changes may be necessary - if running with the lid off the air box off, the idle and top end jetting are usually affected the greatest. Normally the idle can be compensated for by simply adjusting the fuel screw. If the intake restriction is reduced great enough, then go up one size on the pilot jet and adjust the fuel screw for the smoothest idle. Run the vehicle following the parts suppliers break-in recommendations until the 'break-in' procedure is completed.

Now you can work on the high speed jetting. Warm the engine up completely - with fresh 91 to 94 octane non ethanol gasoline (or whatever fuel you intend to use - Honda recommends 93 or higher octane) Alcohol blended fuel should be 2 octane points higher than the manufacturer's recommendation, so you should run a minimum 95 octane with 10% ethanol.

With the engine fully warm (15 to 20 minutes of run time) get where you can run a straight line until the engine reaches maximum safe operating RPM - if the engine does not reach red line, it is probably lean and needs jetted up. First increase should be 4 or 5 sizes up from what is currently in the carb. Increase in steps of 2 (i.e. 145 to 155, then 155 to 165) until the engine blubbers like the choke is on. When you get to the point the engine blubbers at top end (too rich) then back down on the main jet two sizes at a time until optimum performance is achieved. With the engine hot, make any necessary final adjustment to the fuel screw for the smoothest idle.

Finally operate the vehicle at a steady appx. 1/2 throttle - if the engine surges, the slide needle needs to be raised one notch - if it blubbers, the needle needs to be lowered one notch (raising the needle means moving the clip down and lowering the needle means raising the clip)

There is no formula or chart that specifies what size jet to use for the modifications you have made. In fact, two vehicles with identical modifications may not have the same jetting due to minor differences in air flow characteristics between intakes and exhausts of each machine.

NOTE: sometimes the initial increase of 4 to 5 sizes of the main jet may be too much - it's just a starting point and adjustments have to be made from there.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

so if i run it with the lid on the box and stock slip on i might not need to rejet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

so you are saying no changes may be neccessary with the uni and the lexx mxe? or the uni and the stock slip on?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly - the UNI is almost the same as the stock air filter and I believe the UNI needs to be installed on the form (back fire arrester) same as the OEM filter - it also needs to be oiled same as the OEM and regardless of which muffler you run, you may only need to jet for wide open throttle operation, but the current jetting should be adequate for break-in
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

ok the owner before me put in a new carb and gave me the old one so today i checked out the jets and its got a 158 main jet and a 42 pilot jet would those work for wide open throttle operation?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

42 is typically too large for the pilot jet - 38 is std. and a 40 should be plenty big and still have adequate fuel screw adjustment - with a 42 the fuel screw may have to be turned all the way in and would be very sensitive to change

The 158 main jet might be OK - std. is a 148, but what the 'NEW' carb has is anybody's guess unless it as an OEM new carb
post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

the new carb is stock. and i will probably leave the pilot jet and just try the main 158 jet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Dyno/Tuning Room

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode