2000 300EX Engine locked up - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2000 300EX Engine locked up

First time posting and new to the forum. cutting right t o it . the family was down in Oregon at the sand dunes last week. 2 days before we headed back home we were out for a night ride and my son locked up his engine on his TRX300EX. When i got home my son and myself started to tear into the motor and see what he did ( figured this would be a good father, son project to do together). after the 2 of us pulling the motor completely out the atv we took the top end off and found this. (See pics) my question is. Is this motor done or is it rebuildable?

thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1698[1].JPG (2.05 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1699[1].JPG (1.94 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1700[1].JPG (2.37 MB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2018, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum

Well, the motor is done, but it can be rebuilt. Question is how much are you willing to put into it.

Without seeing the crankcases or cylinder head, it's hard to access the damage accurately. I would see about finding a used engine and explore fixing the one that exploded as a father/son project. but it will be about a $1000 to repair properly.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

thanx.... i have not split the case yet as this is the first bike/atv engine that i will be rebuilding. I am waiting for the service manual that i ordered to show up before I start. I will be asking a lot of questions and posting pics as I go. So, don't be afraid to tell me i'm going down the wrong path and suggestions on good aftermarket parts to use.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

The first (and maybe the only) special tool you will need is a flywheel puller - 20x1.5mm external thread - they are relatively cheap - highest priced one I could find was $13.50

Other than that, if you have an air powered 1/2" impact driver, a 1/2 - 3/8 and a 3/8 - 1/4" square drive adapters, you should be all set. You can do it without an impact driver, but the impact driver just makes it much easier and faster.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM

I had to join the forum because of this post!

My father and I received a free 2001 300EX with a seized engine. We opened it up and it is almost identical to yours. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt, then it locked up shortly after. The piston seemed to expand, grab the sleeve, break the collar of the sleeve, then yank it down and shattered the bottom of the sleeve. The piston rings also pulled up and gouged out the side of the piston.

Last night we split the case and removed all debris. All gears look really good and it seems to be salvageable. We have ordered a top end kit for $180, a complete gasket kit for $52, and a right side case cover for $26 (although this damage was unrelated). We are confident this will be running with very little invested. I'd be happy to share any photos or other bits of our experience if you'd like.

Also, PM me regarding the service manual if you haven't already paid for one...
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

ok.... its been a bit since I have last posted... I have determined that the motor is toste. So i have decided to completely
rebuild the motor with my son. I have ordered a new case and let the fun begin.... I have been looking for a good place to get good aftermarket parts. Any input would help. IE bearings, crank, ETC
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ebay is as good a place as any.

I run my own shop and buy from various distributors, buy have to turn to Facebook, Craigslist and Ebay at times. When looking for used parts, I contact PowerSportsNation first, then look at Ebay. The only thing wrong with Ebay is you have to have to have faith in the seller. If you buy enough stuff on Ebay, you will, at some point, get burned. Not every seller is reputable and some reputable sellers will sell questionable parts. Just use caution when buying used stuff on Ebay.

I understand the desire to repair as cheap as possible, but not all cheap parts are good parts and your local shops need your support to stay in business. Many Ebay sellers are only re-sellers. Their total business is a computer and a credit card terminal. Try to go to their place of business and you will not get an address other than an email address.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode