Carb leaking - Honda TRX Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan94
  • 1 Post By Here 2 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Carb leaking

Hey everyone, I have a 02 400ex. Just cleaned out the carb and now its leaking out of the overflow tube. It does it bad when it's not running and when the engine is running it does get better but it's still dripping out pretty good. A couple guys told me it's the float needle, any other suggestions/recommendations on what to change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

The problem has to be float, float needle, float needle seat, overflow tube damaged or a combination of all four.

If the float level was changed by accident or incorrect assembly - that could be the problem

If the float was damaged (cracked) it could fill with fuel on one or both sides and the could be the problem

If the float needle has bad chrome on the sides or a stuck spring loaded pin - that could be the problem

If there's a scratch or other imperfection on the hole of the needle seat or any little piece of debris in the hole (a pet hair is enough) to prevent the needle from seating 100% - that could be the problem

If the overflow tube is split, corroded at the base, cracked or bent - that could be the problem

And a 5th possibility easily overlooked is a loose drain screw - caution; the drain screw seals by tightening a tapered end into a hole - over tightening the drain screw may prevent you from removing it later on and severe over tightening ma result in the float being damaged beyond repair - just snug the screw to close it and prevent it from vibrating out

Good luck - let me know what you find
post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2018, 11:25 AM

May I ask... Did you "rebuild" this carb by any chance?

I ask this because the 400ex's year 1999 till 2003 The carburetor Float and brass seat for the float needle is slightly different, if you try to swap the newer style float and needle into the older 400EX Carb it will cause it to leak if you do not get the newer stile brass seat along with it. Because the Float Seat in the newer 400ex carburetors are deeper on the newer 400EX's, the carburetors are identical but there are a few little things like that which cause that issue.
Here 2 help likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Good information Ryan - I knew the part numbers for the needles were different, but I never had the two needles side by side to compare. Thanks for sharing that knowledge.
Ryan94 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2018, 08:46 AM

@Here 2 help No problem man! I like to try and give as much information as I can if I can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode