400ex carb - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

400ex carb

Just finished rebuilding my 2007 400ex and got a couple hours riding time on it and it runs great but when i let it sit and idle after 30-60 sec it will slow down like its gettting too much fuel or not enough fuel and when you go to give it gas it will just kill. Carb is brand new, I have a 42 idle jet and a 175 main. Bike has 440 big bore, k&n filter no air box lid, wrapped stock header, lexx exhaust, hotcam stage 2. Fuel screw is at factory setting is this what I need to adjust?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190217_120801_1550757661419.jpg (1.99 MB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, sounds like it's loading up when idling, but when the engine is hot, it should not be let to sit and idle - it will over heat in less than 3 minutes - in stock configuration it is only supposed to be let idling for 5 minutes from cold.

Why a #42 pilot jet? Yes, adjust the fuel screw for a better idle.

Falling on its face when giving throttle is usually caused by a lean condition. The accelerator pump need to be checked and adjusted and the idle speed probably needs to be increased.

When you open the throttle, you are giving the engine more air - not gas. It is the job of the carb to mix the proper amount of fuel with the air to promote combustion. Too rich it will run ragged until it leans out. Too lean, the fire goes out until it richens up enough to light again. When you open the throttle from a low speed, there is a vacuum drop and the velocity of air entering the engine is slowed. It's the vacuum that pulls fuel up out of the float bowl, so when the vacuum drops, the fuel flow stops. The accelerator pump shoots a small jet of fuel into the air stream to replace the fuel lost during the vacuum drop. The amount of fuel sprayed into the throat of the carb is set by the carb manufacturer, but the initiation of the jet can be adjusted by the mechanic.

The pilot jet controls the amount of fuel available for idle and the fuel screw sets the amount of fuel mixed with the air to support clean combustion. The main jet controls the amount of fuel mixed with the air at full throttle and the engine at maximum RPM. The slide needle and slide needle jet controls the fuel mixed with the air at all throttle settings between idle and WFO (Wound Flat Out)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

This plug has about 2 hours ride time on it, can someone tell me if the plug looks normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190307_162722_1552003089973.jpg (669.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190307_162655_1552003112867.jpg (599.4 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty normal to me, but you've got the plug - I got a picture

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode