TRX250EX Carb interchange - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

TRX250EX Carb interchange

Hi all I'm a Newb to this forum, but I've been riding a long time. I have a question about the stock 250 EX carbs. I have a 2005 that seems to have a casting flaw somewhere in the carb body. It runs fine when cold but eventually once its warm fuel will start pouring out the overflow and it starts loading up etc.

Ive replaced the float, needle, and seat, resealed overflow tube etc., same result.

I've decided to just replace the carb, the Chicom replacements don't seem to be a good option.

So the questions is this: the 01-05 carbs from Honda sell for nearly double that of the 06 and later carbs (16100-HN6-A31). Are they essentially the same except for jetting/slide/needle? I have already rejetted my old carb so I figured I'd just buy the newer one (if it fits) and swap my jets over.

Any experience out there with this swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-10-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Crickets............So I spent some time online comparing component part numbers on the Honda diagrams. Looks like they are similar, many parts are same, jets definitely different, Pilot is way leaner, needle different. So I ordered an 06 carb,I’ll post what I figure out
post #3 of 3 Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty impatient aren't you?

I just got online - the carbs are essentially the same - the 06 is in greater supply than the 05 and the differences are subtle, but important.

They use the same float needle, but different floats - the 05 and 06 had the same main jet (#95) but different pilot jets (05 #38 and 06 #42) this was done to complement internal dimensional changes in the cross drilled passages (the air passage for the idle circuit is larger to comply with EPA demands for leaner mixtures at low speed) and the profile of the fuel idle mixture screw was modified.

The slide profile was changed, the main jet holder was changed and the slide needle and needle jet were changed again to comply with EPA emission requirements.

The 06 carb will bolt right onto the 05 and function exactly the same - only difference is you will need to remember it is an 06 carb if you need parts for it and the info should be passed along to the next owner so he will be able to get the correct tuning info if needed.

It's cheaper because it has less materials (thinner), is a poorer quality of aluminum and had a longer production run (PDC1D-A 01 to 05 [5 years] - PDC1G-A 06-12 [7 years])

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Tags
keihin, trx250ex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in