New guy need help .... 1992 trx250x - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

New guy need help .... 1992 trx250x

Hey guys, so my 3 boys locked up the motor in my 1992 trx250x soooooo I need to rebuild it.
So my next question is where do I start
Being that it’s lock up.
And is it worth rebuilding it back to stock or will
Other stuff fit and give it more HP
some one told me the a 300x is the same jug
But I don’t know anything about the thing
If you got some good info please share
And good website to buy parts from
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well "somebody" doesn't know what they are talking about because Honda never made a 300X - they did have a 300EX starting in 1993

The crankcases, cylinder and cylinder head are different - so it's unlikely you can Frankenstein it into a 300, but if you do, let us know how you did it. I did turn a XL125 engine into a nearly 200 cc by boring the cylinder to the max and installing a 200 head, but I had to lengthen the cam chain and make some of my own gaskets, but it ran - problem was it was not a 200 - it was faster and had more power than a 125, but for the expense I could have just bought a used 200 and had more power and speed without all the work - also, buying replacement parts for the 200 would be OTC - on the bastard I built I had to spend half a day just fabricate a head gasket and my creation broke nearly every time I rode it.

So the question is; how did they lock it up? Run it out of oil?

Let me know what you decide to to and I can help you git er done.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Well it was so hot, The only thing that I noticed was there was a lifter or a valve tapping really bad so after riding it really hard for an hour they came home with it and toe.

At this point I really don’t know what I need to buy I’m assuming the piston is welded to the jug or maybe something to do with the head still rolls freely in neutral so maybe point me in the right direction .
I did try pulling it down the road and pop starting it with no success kickstart is locked up won’t even budge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Start by draining the oil - take the drain plug out and let it drain overnight to get as much oil out of the engine as possible, then take the engine out of the frame and start taking it apart. Step by step as recommended in the manual. Examine each part when removed and make a list of each part that either usable or needing replaced. If you find the piston stuck in the cylinder, you will have to devise a press to push the piston out of the cylinder. I have a large bearing separator that I use. I remove the cylinder studs, assemble the separator upside down under the cylinder, bolt a 1 x 1 1/2" bar to the separator - the bar has a 3/4" threaded hole in the center - I place a disk of 1/4" steel plate on top of the piston and using a piece of threaded rod with a nut welded to it, I screw the 'bolt' through the bar and tighten against the piston. Sometimes the cylinder needs to be heated to about 400 degrees to loosen things up, but the piston can be pressed out of the cylinder. Once the cylinder is off, you can inspect the crankshaft for damage then determine the full extent of damage. This will then determine your course of action whether to repair or replace.

Last edited by Here 2 help; 08-06-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok it looks like I need a head and jug he’ll the hole top end
So if you guys know interchangeable parts or a good website to purchase parts let me know
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BD145B31-6D5A-4B77-A9C0-40D56A3BCAFE_1565118027954.jpeg (959.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 97E5F6F8-701D-4B44-B845-0A96B0D3E83A_1565118048858.jpeg (1.19 MB, 2 views)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

What is the condition of the cam and rocker arms?

The head and head cover are matched parts - if you find a used head, make sure it includes the head cover with the rocker arms and cam shaft - never put a new cam on old rocker arms and vice versa - if you find a used head, you should get the cam that was in it or use the cam and rockers out of the head you have if they are in good condition - there is a couple of head on Ebay that have been 'rebuilt' for $400 ($742.00 from Honda when last available) just search for part number 12000-HC0-020 - don't mess with the ones that do not include the head cover - it is like buying a LH glove and hoping it matches a RH glove you have in the closet - get the matched set.

The cylinder can be saved by boring to a .020" oversize (if there is no gouges deeper than .020) and installing a new piston - pistons are available up to .080 oversize - if the cylinder is bored .080" the displacement will be bumped up to 253 cc - get a new piston before having the cylinder bored so the cylinder can be accurately sized.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I’ll look in to all of this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode