Rear bearing carrier trouble on a 2002 trx 400EX - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Rear bearing carrier trouble on a 2002 trx 400EX

So I’m replacing my rear bearing and I’m in the middle of putting everything back together and I have a few Questions
1.Does the rotor slip all the way in the carrier bearing ? Or does it butt up to it ?
2. Does the carrier bearing have to be set in a certain position for me to put the bracket on for the brake caliper? Because the problem I’m having with that is the bolt won’t go in the bracket because I’m hitting the swing arm.
3. Does the sprocket sit all the way in the carrier bearing as well ?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Both the rotor and sprocket hubs have a shoulder that the seal rides on - the shoulder goes into the seal and butts up against the inner bearing race

As to the caliper mount, it simply slides over the shoulder on the bearing carrier and is retained by the large snap ring - the slot in the mount sets over the pin screwed into the swing arm - the carrier is rotated to adjust the chain

I guess I do not understand what bolt you are having a problem with - pics?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Where the sprocket is is the suppose to be seated in the rear bearing carrier ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A68A8332-0205-4889-A43E-B6745C5C58F0_1568393338466.jpeg (1.24 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 50723C5B-FB39-416B-B079-43D51CEFA5D5_1568393357769.jpeg (1,018.9 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Preparation is key to a seamless assembly - with the axle out, I remove any rust from the area where the bearings seat and the splines where the rotor hub seats on the axle - I polish the shoulder on the sprocket and rotor hubs that the seal rides on - put a light coat of grease on the axle bearing bosses and on the hub seal shoulders - with the chain removed from the sprocket, slide the axle into the bearings until the hub shoulder enters the seal and butts up against the bearing - after having cleaned the splines on the rotor hub of all old grease and any oxidation, smear a dab of grease into the splines around the inside of the rotor hub on the seal shoulder side of the hub and lightly grease the seal shoulder - before installing the rotor, put the brake caliper mount in place and install the snap ring - slide the rotor hub onto the axle and while holding the sprocket hub into the bearing carrier, slide the rotor hub down the splines until the seal shoulder is inside the seal and butted against the bearing - slide the threaded collar with push nut and lock nut in place - slide the retaining ring onto the axle until it seats in the groove - turn the push nut to force the threaded collar against the rotor hub and draw the axle into the bearings - tighten the push nut sufficiently, then run the lock nut against the push nut and tighten securely - install the chain and adjust - install the pinch bolts, install the caliper and the job is done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in