2005 TRX 350 Rancher starter - Honda TRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Here 2 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2005 TRX 350 Rancher starter

I have this quad and when I hit the starter button, I can hear the starter motor turning, but it's not turning the engine over or anything else. It sounds like it's just freewheeling. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I missed this the day it was posted - the most common problem when it does what you describe is the starter drive on the flywheel is defective - the starter drive is an over sized Bendix or one way clutch. On a rare occasion, the teeth on the starter motor shaft simply wear off. There may be other causes, like a loose flywheel and a sheared flywheel key or the bolts securing the starter drive to the flywheel may have come out or (and I have seen this happen) the battery is installed reverse polarity and the starter is spinning backwards. Finally, I have seen starters internally wired incorrectly or wired for reverse rotation - if the starter was replaced and then the problem reared it's ugly head, it might be a reverse rotation starter - if the starter has not been replaced immediately prior to the problem, then rule out the motor's direction rotation due to design. It's relatively easy to pull the starter motor to inspect the teeth cut into the armature. If the teeth are good, then go for the starter drive.

The starter drive is easiest accessed by removing the engine - if removing the engine is not desired, it can be accessed by removing the swing arm.
hondanutz likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
Sorry I missed this the day it was posted - the most common problem when it does what you describe is the starter drive on the flywheel is defective - the starter drive is an over sized Bendix or one way clutch. On a rare occasion, the teeth on the starter motor shaft simply wear off. There may be other causes, like a loose flywheel and a sheared flywheel key or the bolts securing the starter drive to the flywheel may have come out or (and I have seen this happen) the battery is installed reverse polarity and the starter is spinning backwards. Finally, I have seen starters internally wired incorrectly or wired for reverse rotation - if the starter was replaced and then the problem reared it's ugly head, it might be a reverse rotation starter - if the starter has not been replaced immediately prior to the problem, then rule out the motor's direction rotation due to design. It's relatively easy to pull the starter motor to inspect the teeth cut into the armature. If the teeth are good, then go for the starter drive.

The starter drive is easiest accessed by removing the engine - if removing the engine is not desired, it can be accessed by removing the swing arm.
Hey, thanks for the response. I ordered a 28mmx1.0 r/h flywheel puller. I just got it on saturday. So, it looks like the bolts that go thru the flywheel into the ring gear all come off. But, the center bolt on the puller just goes into the end of the crankshaft and doesn't hit anything therefore, rendering it kinda useless. Any tricks to getting this flywheel off? I need to take it off cuz the bolt holes are really wobbled out and I need to clean out the debris and check the starter clutch. Pics coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

So I watched a y.t vid and all I had to do was put the center flywheel bolt back in the puller goes against thst. Doh!
But dang it came off so easily. I barely put any pressure on it popped off. Yaaa.
20191008_103136_1571071963033.jpg
20191008_102200_1571072003832.jpg
post #5 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Damn. Those bolts going round and round in there did some damage!
20191014_103853_1571074745822.jpg
post #6 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

The Honda puller has a long unthreaded shank on the puller bolt that goes into the threaded hole in the crankshaft and pushs against the bottom of the hole - with an aftermarket puller you either have to use the bolt that holds the recoil cage in the flywheel or a different bolt of the same thread size for the puller to push against. One of my tricks is a selection of drill rod material in different diameters and lengths - I simply select (or cut) a rod that fits in the hole without touching the internal threads and extends about 1/4 inch past the flywheel hub - I tighten the puller bolt against the drill rod that is bottomed out in the crankshaft, use an impact tool and pop the flywheel off. An alternate method is to use a harmonic balance puller - get 3) foot long 8 - 1.25 alloy (grade 5) threaded rods and some grade 5 flange nuts - screw the threaded rod about 1/2 inch into the holes the allen bolts were in - put the recoil/flywheel retainer bolt into the crankshaft and use the harmonic balance puller to remove the flywheel - only use the harmonic balance puller method if the proper puller fails for some reason. A good aftermarket puller has a bolt long enough to pass through the splined part of the flywheel hub and push directly against the end of the crankshaft.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Right on. That's some clever ideas that I'll tuck away. A couple weeks ago I had to make a 3 bolt puller for an old Timber wolf 250.
But, like I said, on this Honda the flywheel popped right off. I barely turned the wrench on it. I like it that way!

20191007_155510_1571082483615.jpg

Last edited by hondanutz; 10-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I may not be an authority, but I think you might need to replace that stator
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
I may not be an authority, but I think you might need to replace that stator
Ya, I got one coming. And the flywheel too. And a oil seal and gasket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode