400ex headlight problem - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

400ex headlight problem

Hey, my 08 400ex headlight recently went out, meaning both of them at the same time and I don't think its the headlights them selves, and other than that I have no idea, and I cant find anyone else with the same issue, they started to flicker a little and they flickered a few times more then poof, both of them went out at the same exact time, that's all I know and was wondering if someone can direct me to a possible blown fuse or loose ground and tell me where that could be because I cant find it for the life of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Check the bulbs first - if the bulbs are good, then you either had a loss of power or a loss of ground - there is no fuse in the headlight circuit.

If the bulbs are bad, there's a good chance the voltage rectifier/regulator failed and a high voltage surge burned out the lights. Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at about 2000 RPM - should be no higher than 14.8 volts DC - if higher than 14.8 volts, test or replace the rec/reg. A bad ground on the rec/reg could cause the same problem without the rec/reg being bad.

Check the ground by checking continuity from the shell of the light to the engine - if you have continuity then check for a loss of power - if no continuity, check the motor mount bolts to make sure they are tight.

Checking for power is a little more complicated, but still pretty simple - first check for 12 volts on either the blue or white wire at the head light (high is blue and low is white) - if you have power at the bulb socket, recheck ground - run a wire from the bulb socket to the neg terminal on the battery, if the bulb lights, touch the wire to a motor mount bolt, if the bulb lights, touch the wire to the motor - if the light lights in all instances, you probably have a defective wire inside the wiring harness. When the key is turned on, the red wire is connected to the black wire - if any lights or the electric starter work, that connection is made - the black wire connects to the brown wire at the handlebar switch, if the tail light is on, the brown wire has power - the brown wire connects to the headlight via the dimmer switch - if the taillight has power but the headlight has no power, the dimmer switch is probably defective.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode