Stripped spark plug hole - Page 2 - Honda TRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Like I suspected. The intake side is really dry. See the metal shavings on the acorn nut? And the intake valve stem is cupped. Oh, boy. This thing has got some issues. Removing the head and replacing the valve ( may as well do both? Idk) are not such a big deal. But, I gotta figure out why there is not enough oil getting up there. It has oil, I checked it. First thing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-07-15-13-21-05.png (2.63 MB, 3 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-07-15-13-20-59.png (2.64 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by hondanutz; 07-15-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you did the right thing to find TDC - what I do is take the tappet cover off, turn the engine with the recoil starter , when the intake valves close, bring it to TDC and adjust the valves there. Is there oil in the oil tank? The noise could be a rough spot in the cylinder caused by rust from setting and that would account for a low compression reading too. I suggest you just run it for awhile to see if it gets worse, better or no change. If it gets better or no change, just ignore it and continue to runt monitoring oil consumption and noise intensity. If it gets worse quickly, have to tear the motor down to find out what's going on.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

OK - I was a little slow on the last post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly caused by long periods of idling, but yeah - check the oil pressure as soon as it's back together. Oil is pumped through the front engine cover to a passage in the crankcase where it makes it's way up around the front right cylinder stud and into the rocker cover. Look for the oil passage in the rocker cover.
hondanutz likes this.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Got the head off. This is weird to me. See the gap between the piston and the cylinder wall? It's only on the 1/4 that is next to the pushrod holes. I put a .020 feeler gauge in there! You can see the ring. THe piston doesn't move side in the cylinder either.
Then, the top end of the intake pushrod. A little mushroomed. I guess that's where the metal shavings came from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180715_165742.jpg (2.22 MB, 3 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-07-15-17-01-09.png (1.90 MB, 3 views)
post #16 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

The motor has issues, but the valves, rocker arms and push rods oil from the top down. Do you have the service manual? If not, PM me an email address and I will see if I can attach a PDF copy and email it to you.

It is not uncommon to see the ring down the side of the piston - part of it depends on the engine design.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
The motor has issues, but the valves, rocker arms and push rods oil from the top down. Do you have the service manual? If not, PM me an email address and I will see if I can attach a PDF copy and email it to you.

It is not uncommon to see the ring down the side of the piston - part of it depends on the engine design.
Issues? Arrgh! I don't have a manual. The valves look really good. I turned the head upside down and put water in the combustion chamber and let it sit for at least an hour. Not a leak.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Water has too high of surface tension to leak past a valve so that test was not valid, but that only tests the seating of the valve. The one valve is bad due to the cratering of the tip of the stem. PM me an email address and I will see if I can email a PDF copy of the manual to you.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
Water has too high of surface tension to leak past a valve so that test was not valid, but that only tests the seating of the valve. The one valve is bad due to the cratering of the tip of the stem. PM me an email address and I will see if I can email a PDF copy of the manual to you.

I got the pdf that you sent yesterday. Thank you! Seems according to the manual, that my compression is good. I put some rubbing alcohol( instead of water) into the combustion chamber and after several minutes it started to just barely seep out around the ex valve. I talked to a buddy today that used to own the local Honda dealer and he recommends (of course) to replace both valves. I don't want to spend that kinda money on this thing. I got in trade for a 01 Honda Accord that I didn't need anymore and I wanna get it running, clean it up and sell it along with the 88 fourtrax 300 that I have. I wanna keep the 450 cuz it's a Foreman, has a winch, and is 4x4.
post #20 of 29 Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I dropped the head off at a shop. 345 to do both valves. :-(
Now I gotta get to work on the 450.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Maintenance / Important Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode