2004 Honda Recon Wont start - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-13-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2004 Honda Recon Wont start

Hey guys i have a 2004 honda recon 250 and for the life of me i cant get it to start. i have done all of the following. I've replaced, the cdi, coil, solenoid, starter, did a complete top end, new valves, all the timing components, rebuilt the oem carb and bought a new carb, new air filter, new battery, new fuel line, snd new vaccum lines on the carb and an oil change. the most i can get it to do is fire while the starter turns it over. The quad has good compression and spark and a new carb so im at a loss on why i cant get it to run. I appreciate any help you guys may be able to provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

The simple problems are the most overlooked

You say it has good compression - how much compression does it have - check with the throttle held wide open

It's like baking a cake - you need the right ingredients

With an engine, if you have compression, spark, spark at the right time, the right amount of fuel mixed with the air being let into the combustion chamber, then it's going to run - it has to - it's not magic, it's physics

Just figure out what you are missing and it will run when corrected - and if the timing is out by 180 degrees, it will still run - it sparks on the exhaust stroke as well as the compression stroke - my guess is it's either compression or a fuel/air problem unless you had the flywheel off and didn't get it tightened sufficiently - the flywheel key is not there to keep it in time, but rather it's there to line the flywheel up with the crankshaft so it's in time - it is held in place by being tightened onto the taper of the crankshaft - if the flywheel was removed and not tightened sufficiently, the key may have sheared allowing the flywheel to slip and the spark would be there, but be early or late - if late the spark would occur as the piston was traveling downward from TDC of the compression stroke and perhaps sound like it was trying to start

Just verify the ingredients and you will have it fixed - there are a few other obtuse things that could happen, but that can't even considered until the main things are verified
post #3 of 3 Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response! I took the motor out and had my father who is a mechanic by trade do my top end and timing so I am completely confident in his abilities to rebuild a small air cooled motor since heís rebuilt all my motocross bikes and he wrenches his dragster. Iím not sure what psi the compression is at but he told me everything as far as the top end and timing go was good to go. When I do hold the throttle wide open and fully choked it fires a lot better than with the throttle closed. That would make me think itís running really lean and I started with the carb at factory specs and played with the adjustments and saw no improvements. Iíll go back over it and check what you suggested and I will post my results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Maintenance / Important Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode