anyone added a remote oil filter - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thumbs up anyone added a remote oil filter

Hi.. new to the group.. was wondering if anyone out there has any information on adding a remote oil filter to their machines? Or if it is even worth the effort.
I just changed the oil on my 2007 recon and there is no oil filter other than the centrifugal oil separator in the front of the crankcase... Seems an easier solution would be to add an external filter...
Any input appreciated...
Manicmech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There is a screen in the sump also, but engine disassembly is required to access it.

I don't believe a filter necessary other than the centrifugal separator - in 1979 I bought a 1972 XL125 - I raced that bike for almost 10 years - all it had was the sump screen and centrifugal separator - after I was done racing it, I sold it to a kid who sold it to a kid who sold it to a guy for his kid and his kid is still riding it - it's 47 years old, it is beat to hell, you can't hardly get parts for it unless you find them used and although it has been worked on many times, the motor was only rebuilt because it just plain wore out.

I changed the oil in it after every race - I told the kid I sold it to that oil was the blood of the motor, keep it clean and the motor would run 100,000 miles - he changed the oil about once a month - the kid he sold it to changed the oil about once a year - the guy who bought it for his kid changed to oil about once a year, but his kid said it was an old motor and he would only change it when it got dirty - I tried to convince him that the only reason it got so old was because it was cared for, but the kid just rides it - I rebuilt that motor (new piston and rings) twice over the years.

That Recon is already 12 years old - keep the oil clean and use JASO rated oil and there's no reason it won't run for another 12 years with normal care. It would be easy enough to cut one of the lines going to the oil cooler and plumb one in, so do it if you want to, but my old 1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville only has a screen in the oil tank and a sludge tube in the crankshaft. I has over 80,000 on it and I am rebuilding it, but there was no appreciable wear on the crankshaft, rod bearings, camshafts or tappets. I just wanted to renew the old girl with a frame up rebuild (not a restoration) - I powder coated the frame and some other parts, new tires, fork tubes, swing arm bushings, wheel bearings etc. When I'm done with it, it will not get parked and looked at, it will be ridden daily.

Oil filters are mostly 'peace of mind' - my 1950 flat head Ford had a bypass oil filter, so not all the oil was filtered. I change my oil every 3000 miles in my 97 Ford F150, but only change the filter every 20,000 miles - at 200,000 miles the engine burns less than a quart every 3000 miles and the oil drained out looks almost like the oil going in. With the modern materials engines are made of, there is not as much wear and less crap to filter out of the oil.

I wouldn't fret about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Maintenance / Important Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode