2003 250EX issue - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2003 250EX issue

Ok, I tried searching this site, but I can't seem to figure it out. I find these sites to be somewhat convoluted and messy and hard to navigate, lol. I guess that's just me. I tried the search to the right of the page, but it just searches Google. I tried to find the issue online as well and just can't find it no matter how I word it. So here's the issue if anyone can help.

I have a 2003 250EX. It does not start with start button. There's no neutral light when you turn key on. I can't find the gear position switch to save my life. So I disconnected it under the seat and grounded it and the green light came on, but still no start when I hit the button. I can start it with a screwdriver across solenoid terminals and it will run. If i ground it shouldn't it still start with the button? I'm guessing the start button assembly is bad, but I also wanted to replace the gear position switch, but have no idea where it is. There are no visible wires on the side or behind the engine. I saw a video with a recon and figured it would be the same, but it's not. I don't have the wires going into the back of the engine like that guy did. I tried diagrams on Partzilla, but that site is mostly useless. They make it hard to find parts and if you do a search for a specific part it returns thousands of parts. Its crazy! I have a PDF of a repair manual, but It doesn't seem to explain it either. It's like this part doesn't exist or something. Weird. Any help would be appreciated. This is my kid's quad and I'm trying to make him happy by fixing it and can't seem to figure it out. Just did rear bearings and seals and all new brakes, but this issue is making me nuts. Thanks for any help. I hope this is the right forum to post this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

There is an error in the service manual - the manual for the 01 to 05 is only correct for 01-02 - in 03 the gear change switch was moved inside the crankcase cover - you should use the manual for 06 and up.

You can't find the neutral/reverse switch because it's inside the rear engine cover (number 10 in the parts diagram) - if it is bad and needs to be replaced, the engine has to be removed from the frame to remove the rear cover.

It is simple enough to check the switch with a continuity tester. Find the grey and light green wires - the connectors are on the RH side behind the side cover. The light green wire will have continuity in neutral and the gray wire will have continuity in reverse.

IT's simple, but complicated - when the key switch is turned on, the black wire becomes hot - the black wire goes to the neutral light and the light green wire goes from the neutral switch to the neutral light - ground the light green wire on wiring harness and the neutral light will come on. If the neutral light is not on or the reverse light is on, pulling in the LH lever will create a ground and allow you to start the engine in gear if the LLK lever switch wires are connected and the diode is good.

I hope the pics and text help
Attached Images
File Type: png Honda TRX250EX 2001-2005 295.png (414.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png Honda TRX250EX 250X 2006-2016 360.png (894.0 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of 4 Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

OK I'll give that a try. I'm not pulling the engine so that's out, just don't have the time. If I ground the green wire under the seat I get a neutral light, but still doesn't start with the button. I have to use a screwdriver across solenoid terminals. Once grounded and the green light is on, shouldn't the button work? I'm wondering if that is bad. The left hand lever is just a brake, how does that make a ground? I'm good with mechanical, but electrical was never my thing. I never know where to start with that stuff. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

OK - let's see where we can get with this thing - I've discovered several discrepancies in the wiring between 2002-2003, 2003-2004 and 2005 and up TRX250EX models

For troubleshooting, just ground the light green wire to by pass the neutral switch. Doing this should provide a ground for the solenoid. All the models from 2001 up use the light green wire as ground at the solenoid. If you unplug the light green wire from the solenoid and check continuity, it should have continuity to ground on both the engine and the frame. If it has continuity to both, GREAT, we'll move on to the power side of things.

Unplug the yellow wire with the red stripe from the solenoid and plug the green wire back together - with the key switch on, do you get 12V on the y/r wire when the start button is pushed? If yes, you have a bad solenoid - if not, either there's a break in the y/r wire from the handlebar switch, the starter button is not making contact or there is no power on the black wire going to the LH handlebar switch.

BTW - the LH handlebar switch was discontinued in 2001 - does your quad has a brake light or just a taillight?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Maintenance / Important Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode