1985 Fourtrax 250 stuck in R - Honda TRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Here 2 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

1985 Fourtrax 250 stuck in R

Hi all. I picked up this fourtrax 250 from the original owner for $100. It's in ok shape, considering it's age and it has been sitting, mostly indoors, for a couple years. The guy said it was running fine the kids were riding it and it stuck in gear. I figured out that it's in R by kicking it over (no battery). So, if it is stuck in R, it would have no spark, ( I checked it) and it would not crank with the button and new battery in it, correct? I plan on pulling the engine and splitting it and fixing the trans. I'm willing to bet that it's probably something simple. Like a bent shift fork or something. I would really like to hear it run before I do all that tho. But it with it stuck in R I don't think that is possible. Any thoughts, advice? Thanks!

Oh, and I got it cuz I wanna ride with my wife who has a quad also. I ride 2 wheels mostly, but when I ride my dirt bike with her on her quad, it's kinda boring for me, cuz ,when I'm on my bike, I wanna rip! LOL. She doesn't. She mentioned a couple months ago that if I would get a quad......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191117_093235.jpg (740.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by hondanutz; 11-25-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm on vacation and don't have access to my service manuals, but most Hondas will start in gear if the brake is applied (look for a switch on the LH lever) or if it is pushed or pulled. Honda has a sprag clutch inside the centrifugal clutch that allows for engine braking during deceleration and push starting. Stuck in reverse, it would have to be pushed backwards to spin the engine. You can check for spark by propping the rear wheels up off the ground and spinning the engine CCW with an electric drill with the alternator bolt while the spark plug out of the engine.

I would suspect a problem with the shift mechanism ahead of the transmission and since very few parts are available (shift forks and shift shaft are no longer available) I would look for another 85 to 87 TRX250 engine for parts.
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
I'm on vacation and don't have access to my service manuals, but most Hondas will start in gear if the brake is applied (look for a switch on the LH lever) or if it is pushed or pulled. Honda has a sprag clutch inside the centrifugal clutch that allows for engine braking during deceleration and push starting. Stuck in reverse, it would have to be pushed backwards to spin the engine. You can check for spark by propping the rear wheels up off the ground and spinning the engine CCW with an electric drill with the alternator bolt while the spark plug out of the engine.

I would suspect a problem with the shift mechanism ahead of the transmission and since very few parts are available (shift forks and shift shaft are no longer available) I would look for another 85 to 87 TRX250 engine for parts.
Happy vaca and thanks for the response. I have a PDF manual downloaded. What should I look at?

I should be able to kick it over with the kicker and the back wheels off of the ground? And it doesn't roll at all. I thought if I adjusted the clutch all the way out that it would "release" and I could roll it, but, that didn't work. Maybe something in the driveshaft? As well as being stuck in R? It's definitely stuck in R. I can't get it out of R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Easiest way to release the clutch is to hold the gearshift lever either up or down, but if it has been setting for more than 30 days, the spring pressure on the pressure plate can squeeze the oil out of the clutch plates and they will stick together and will not separate - the engine needs to be started and run for a few minutes to get the clutch plates to separate. An alternate method might be to hold the brake to prevent the rear wheels from turning and push on the kick lever to get then plates to separate - I believe the kick starter turns the clutch basket which turns the centrifugal clutch hub which locks the sprag clutch to turn the crankshaft for starting. Other than that, just kick start it with the wheels off the ground.
hondanutz likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
Easiest way to release the clutch is to hold the gearshift lever either up or down, but if it has been setting for more than 30 days, the spring pressure on the pressure plate can squeeze the oil out of the clutch plates and they will stick together and will not separate - the engine needs to be started and run for a few minutes to get the clutch plates to separate. An alternate method might be to hold the brake to prevent the rear wheels from turning and push on the kick lever to get then plates to separate - I believe the kick starter turns the clutch basket which turns the centrifugal clutch hub which locks the sprag clutch to turn the crankshaft for starting. Other than that, just kick start it with the wheels off the ground.
I was thinking about trying that, but, the kill switch is in the ON position, but, it wont budge. I think it's corrode in place. Do you think it's possible that it being corroded "together" that it essentially is doing the same as having it in the OFF position, therefore, no spark?
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'll be back from Thanksgiving on Sat. and will check the wiring diagram to see if the kill switch might be a possibility, but I won't be able to check that until then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Maintenance / Important Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode