Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

Trx300fw issues

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Tpence 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 trx300fw it appears my spark is not conistant. It will start and idle at first but then started to surge. Anytime u try to give it any throttle it will burp through the carb and shut off. I'm at a loss. Have checked timing and replaced the pulse charger beside the stator. Any help would be amazing. Thanks

#2 ·
You first need to determine if it's a fuel or spark issue. Surging usually indicates a lean condition in the carb, but a weak spark will cause many similar symptoms of carb issues.

Take the spark plug out and close the gap to about .015 or .020" - if it runs right, then the problem is definitely spark related. If it runs the same, dump the fuel into your car or truck and try a fresh fill of 91 octane (or higher) non-ethanol fuel. If that doesn't change it, have the carb thoroughly cleaned. It's kind of a witch hunt when you have this type of problem.

#6 ·
Usually, if it will start, but not accelerate, the problem ultimately comes down to bad gas or a carb problem - most ignition problems result in no spark or breaking up at the upper RPM's

Try choking it when you accelerate or spray fuel into the intake as you accelerate - if it seems to accelerate normally even just temporarily - it's probably a carb (or fuel) issue.

#9 ·
Ok so I have also tried that. I am almost leaning more towards some sort of spark issue. The fourwheeler does start and idle for the most part but is not smooth. I have tried two different carbs and no change. I have tried two cdi boxes and a new little black box beside the stator. I'm at aloose. Usually pretty good wit these motors but this one has got me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.