Front suspension, and general maintenance - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Front suspension, and general maintenance

Hi,

I am getting new tires for both 400's, and thanks to Steve, have the service manual to adjust the toe-in. The specs say 11 +/- 15 (2/5 +/- 3/5) . Can someone explain that? Plus or minus 15 is greater than the measurement they specify (??). The fractional measurement is also taken from specs. Is that a metric measurement? Confusing... And, unless I'm mistaken, that's center of front of tire to center of front of tire?
I may want to replace tie rods and ball joints as well, does anyone have a favorite online shop to get these?
Because they're used, and I'm meticulous about maintenance, I want new spark plugs, etc. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

What Honda is specifying is the difference between the front and back side of the tire center line. The standard is 11mm (about 1/4) difference between the front and rear center line of the tire. About 1/8 toe in from straight ahead measured to the center of each tire on the front side to the center line of the vehicle +/- 15mm. So whether you have the toe in at straight ahead (zero) or 1/4 inch on each side is fine.

If you are racing oval track, you will find that adjusting the toe in on the right and out on the left will improve corner stability but will require force to keep it in a straight line out of the corners.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, and the bit on straight ahead or 1/4" in. Seems to be tracking kinda wonky on the pavement, and feels like the toe is out. I'll check the ball joints and tie rod ends too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

In general a little toe in or toe out is required to run in a straight line. With no toe, it tends to drift from left to right and back again. Too much toe and the tires wear prematurely, but an ATV is not designed to run on pavement and will handle "wonky" because of the tire tread. It may handle perfectly off road which is where it was designed to operate.

Provided the suspension is in good condition (no worn or bent parts) the tie rods should be relatively the same overall length on both sides when the alignment is complete.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Suspension/Steering/Chassis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode