300ex Steering stem question - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

300ex Steering stem question

Hello all! My buddy completely destroyed the steering stem on my 1998 300ex last weekend and I pretty much have to resort to eBay for my parts. The problem I'm having is that I can find a stem from a 2003 300ex but notice that in 2002 the part numbers changed. Can anyone clue me in if any year stem will work on my 1998? I don't notice any discernable difference but want to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Steering stem 93 to 2001 is part # 53310-HM3-000 - 02 to 06 was part # 53310-HM3-A40

Based on Honda's numbering system, 53310 identifies it as a steering stem, HM3 is the code for the first model used on, the last 3 digits indicates a color, manufacturer, or other design change. Honda normally will update the part number if it is an exact replacement.

All the steering stem parts parts for 98 to 2006 are the same except the steering stem and the frame.

The frame part # 50100-HM3-000ZA superseded to 50100-HM3-A00ZA and is listed as for 93-98
The frame part # 50100-HM3-690ZA superseded to 50100-HM3-N00ZA and is listed as for 93-04
The frame part # 50100-HM3-900ZA is listed as for 05-06

I'd be willing to bet the steering stem for the 03 will work on the 98, but might be a different gauge material, different color, slightly different length or may have some other minor change that precluded listing as backwards compatible. Since the only part number change was the last series of digits, I conclude the part is basically the same design. Honda would not list it as a super-session when the change included a dimensional change. Dimensional means geometrical or material specification. It might be heavier, lighter, shorter, longer or have a different mechanical leverage based on the location of the holes for the tie rod ends.

The stem for the 93-01 was $246.90 - the stem for the 02-06 is $189.75 - I would venture it is a lighter gauge material.

I'd take the chance and get later part since the correct part is no longer available. It's your only option outside of finding a good used one or having the damaged one rebuilt.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
I'd take the chance and get later part since the correct part is no longer available. It's your only option outside of finding a good used one or having the damaged one rebuilt.
I just wanted to say thanks for your reply, and on your info, I ordered the 2003 steering stem.
It did indeed fit. I thought the weight felt the same, it didn't feel cheaper in materials. The only discernable difference that I could tell is that it does not have the helmet hook up at the top of the stem that the 1998 model did.
So to answer anyone's question in the future, an 03' and up steering stem will fit an earlier model with a different part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks - it's good to know that it's a verified fit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Tech Garage > Suspension/Steering/Chassis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode