06 Kicker Wire Harness & ECU or Procom? - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Talking 06 Kicker Wire Harness & ECU or Procom?

I first of all own a 05 TRX450R

UPDATE: Re Edited all of this because YOU CAN use a 2006 or newer CDI/ECU In a 2004 and 2005 TRX450R.

I Was comparing the Wire Schematic and ECU's of a 05 trx450R "Year Of Change" 06 Kicker TRX450R and the 06 Electric Start TRX450R... Here is what I found out.

Well looking at the ECU Plugs on the 06 Kicker TRX450R vs the 06TRX450ER they use the same exact ECU only difference one has a battery, starter Start Solenoid and one doesn't.

The 2006 trx450R ECU --- All wires are in the same exact place as the ER except the 2006 trx450R Kick Start only difference has 1 Less Wire going to the ECU which that PIN is Blocked Off from Factory "Well because it's a Kick Start"

The 2006 trx450ER Electric Start ECU --- All wires are in the same exact place except the 2006 trx450ER has all wires going to the ECU and it has an extra BLACK 12VDC+ going into the ECU...

Now moving to the 2004-2005 trx450R's ECU vs the 2006 trx450ERs ECU. If you look and pay attention to the 2006 Has 4 Extra Pins due to the TORS and the "Throttle Lever Switch -->Where the Green Wire Mod happens" So as long as you buy a an HRC RPM Sub Harness so you have a 3rd Plug with the 4 Pins so you can Ground Out the "Carburetor TORS Switch" on the 06 ECU and plug it into the 04-05 Harness it will work and you will already have the Green Wire Mod done as well. ONLY WAY THIS WILL WORK though is to make sure the CARBURETOR SWITCH wires are Grounded.

Last edited by Ryan94; 01-21-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Figured Out How You Can USe an 06 or newer CDI on 04-05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I must have missed something here - why would you want to use an 06 CDI unit on an 04-05 unit?

Also, can you explain why the 06 CDI unit for the R is part number 30410-HP1-841 while the part number for the ER is 30410-HP1-601? I can, one unit operates on AC voltage and the other unit operates on DC voltage. The two units cost the same, have the same number of plugs, but their electrical operation is opposite of each other.

So what is the advantage of replacing a $297 04-05 unit with a $309 06-09 unit?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2016, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Honda made 2 Different 2006 TRX450R's. One is just an "R Kick Start" the other one is Most "Commonly the TRX450ER"

You can interchange the ECU/CDI's between the both Kicker "06 TRX450ER and the 06 TRX450R"

Now looking at the ECU On the 2006 and up ER and R they use the Same Exact ECU's BUT one has a Battery Input and one doesn't. BUT they both use the AC POWER from the Stator also so that tells me I can plug the ECU from an 06 ER or R into my 05 and it will work as long as I ground the TORS input on the ECU and keep the Green Wire disconnected and I will gain 1000RPM's. Look at the Wire Schematics on the 06 Kick Start and the 05 Kick Start. All I would have to do is by pass the TORS wires and Throttle Lever Pink Wire Grounded on the ECU the only reason the 06 ECU uses a Black 12VDC lead is for a Neutral Safety Switch so that it cannot start in gear.

Plus you can get a USED 06 ECU for 60 to 80 Bucks on eBay.

Last edited by Ryan94; 01-22-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

OK - I studied the wiring diagrams on the 06 450R and ER - the connection designation of ICU's (IGNITION CONTROL MODULE) are identical except for the black (switched positive) wire on the ER - whether or not the ICU's can be swapped is unlikely.

It might be possible to use the ER CDI on the R, but I doubt the R unit can be used on the ER. By the way, there is no Neutral Safety Switch on the ER, unless you are referring to the diode in the neutral light circuit.

OK - so you can buy an 06 CDI for $60 to $80 on EBAY, but you can buy a used 05 CDI for $40 to $60. Why hassle with modifying the wiring? And what's the big deal about getting an extra 1000 rpm? Is it really necessary to float the valves and do engine damage when just riding for fun? If you are racing, it might be necessary for winning and the engine damage just becomes a "cost of racing".

I will get you an 06 / 07 TRX450ER CDI for testing. Video the modification procedure for posting let us know how it works out. Just PM me your address.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Adding 1000 more RPM's shouldn't hurt it at all. Even if it does. My problem... And if the ER CDI needs a 12 Battery lead I can just go off the + side of the Condenser.

The reason for doing this?
I just like to tinker around and find easy ways around stuff and make things like this work for people who do not wanna spend allot of money on a Performance ECU or something since I found a Way to "Make it possible hopefully" I wanna try and and it would be a Cheap mod Plus the fact the Newer ECU's have a much better Ignition Mapping programmed into them plus the extra RPM's like mentioned before.

Valve Floating isn't an Issue since I have already have Kibble white Valve Springs I got a good deal on since they were an already opened package that was never used.

I just would like to not hit the Rev Limiter so soon and I wan a little more speed since I will be adding an FCR Carb and I am running 15-38 Sprockets I can tell it have allot more to go but the Rev Limiter is annoying.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever..............

Prove it then extol the virtues. I don't believe it can be done and if it can, it's not going to be simple

It's like the guy who tried to Frankenstein an 85 CDI unit into an 86 model 200 - didn't work and won't - to make it work, he needed to change the stator, flywheel, wiring harness and coil also - technically he needed to change the entire electrical system of the 85 200 onto the 86 - why did he do it? Because neither 85 or 86 parts were available and he didn't have the knowledge to figure out what the problem was. All he knew was that he didn't have spark.

He brought it to me in desperation. I repaired his wiring "modifications", installed the original parts, repaired the faulty wiring connector that caused the loss of spark and returned it to him. What could have been a $30 fix ended up costing him $90 plus the parts he bought that he couldn't use.

I prefer the simple repair over the "Hot Rod Mod" - costs less and takes less time - if the parts are no longer available, it's time to upgrade to a new model with better ignition mapping, suspension, handling and parts availability. However some modifications may be advantageous. Example: the 04, 05 & 06 CRF250X are nearly identical, but the swing arm was changed in 06 - the change was the position of the mounting tabs for the chain guide - there are no aftermarket chain guides for the 04, but several offerings for the 06 - put an 06 swing arm in the 04 or 05 and when the need arises, the chain guide is easily replaced with something more durable or of better than OEM design. The swap is direct, all the original hardware is the same - you just have to remember the chain guide is now an 06

Last edited by Here 2 help; 01-23-2016 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I'll post a Video in a Week or 2 when I order my 06 newer ECU. I am wanting to guarantee I will make this work.

Last edited by Ryan94; 01-24-2016 at 08:08 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you can do it - I need to be proved wrong once in a while, it's a reality check for me that not all I believe to be true is - good luck
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 AM

hola tengo una trx 420 modelo 2013 tengo un problema que no me da chispa la bujia para encenderlas nisiquiera me prende la bomba de gasolina ya e revisado todo el cableado y es bien e revisado los computadores y estan bien mas bien parece un bloqueo electronico ya que la luz ps me queda encendidad y el tablero me muestra un parpadeo continuo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Forums > Tech Issues, Bug Reports & Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode