Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

carb help

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Here 2 help 
#1 ·
I have a 01 400ex do i need the little plastic hat thing that goes around the main jet in the bowl and I want to put a 42 pilot in it but the only one my local dealer has is a little bit longer... will it still work? Thanks

#2 ·
The plastic thing is an anti-cavitation device - it prevents air bubbles from forming or mixing with the fuel caused by vibration at high rpm - most machines run just fine without it

The jet has to be exactly the right one - try to put in the wrong one and you might destroy the carb - order part number 99103-420-0420 and good luck with getting it to idle right

#3 ·
I have a 08 Honda 400ex all stock. Always ran great. Let it sit for a while so I drained the gas and put fresh gas in it. It will start right up and run when choked. As soon as I turn the choke off it dies. I can ride it but as soon as I let off the gas it dies. Any suggestions? Thank u.

#4 ·
Clean the carb - if you are going to let it set, drain the tank and carb before letting it set.

I taught my son to shut the gas off and run the carb dry every time he got done riding just because he didn't know when the next time he would be going riding again would be. Then if it set over 3 weeks we would dump the fuel out of the tank and pour it into the truck and put fresh fuel in before going riding.

Maybe you should get in the habit of shutting the fuel off and running the carb dry (or drain it) each time you get done riding.

#6 ·
It's best to take it off, completely disassemble it, clean all the parts in a commercial carburetor parts soaking solution (spray cleaners only wash off surface grunge and do not penetrate the drilled passages within the carb) and reassemble it resetting all the adjustments exactly where they were prior to disassembly.

However, if it will start and run even though it may not idle, you might try letting it clean while you ride. Get some PJ1 Fuel Injector/Fuel System cleaner. Mix it with fresh 91 - 94 octane alcohol free gasoline and ride it enough to run at least two tanks of fuel through it (non all in one day). If it's not too severely gummed up, the PJ1 product may clean the carb without having to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.