Trx250 neutral safety bypass - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Trx250 neutral safety bypass

I have a 250x and hadn’t a dead battery the other day. I attempted to do a rolling start like I used to do with my old 400ex but it wouldn’t start. I’m assuming there is some sort of neutral safety not allowing this? Maybe it’s due to the sport clutch on this model. Does anyone know how I could bypass this in case I ever need to start in gear while away from home and a booster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

What year model do you have? According to information available to me, the 87-92 250X had no battery and was kick start only. No neutral light. 93 saw the introduction of the 300EX which was electric start, but it did not have to be in neutral to start - all you had to do was pull the clutch in when in gear to start without finding neutral and all would bump start in gear. Maybe you have a 250EX or 250SX or a newer model TRX250? Provide the VIN and I can tell you exactly what you have.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
What year model do you have? According to information available to me, the 87-92 250X had no battery and was kick start only. No neutral light. 93 saw the introduction of the 300EX which was electric start, but it did not have to be in neutral to start - all you had to do was pull the clutch in when in gear to start without finding neutral and all would bump start in gear. Maybe you have a 250EX or 250SX or a newer model TRX250? Provide the VIN and I can tell you exactly what you have.
Sorry, it’s a 2014/2015 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

The wiring on the TRX250X after 07 is very similar to the wiring on the 400EX. The spark is killed when the black wire with the white stripe is connected to ground. The battery is not required to start the engine other than running the starter motor. Start with a new spark plug, make sure the handlebar kill switch in in the run position and the key switch is turned on - if you push it in gear, you should have spark. If not unplug the key switch and try again - if still no spark, unplug the black/white wire going to the handlebar kill switch - if still no spark, unplug the b/w wire near the CDI unit, if still no spark then you have a problem with the ignition system - maybe a fouled plug?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode