400ex tick worse after valve adjustment. - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

400ex tick worse after valve adjustment.

So I recently adjusted the valves on my 2008 400ex because I started to hear a tick and it got louder and louder, (wasn't horrible but I could tell it was getting slowly louder) so I decided to do a valve adjustment, I know I did it correctly as one of my friends and I have done this many times before on quads, but this was a weird case, after we adjusted them to stock specs, we put on the valve caps and tried to start it to make sure we did nothing wrong before assembling it, when we turned it on it started up with the most disgusting sounding clanking and ticking noise ever, I have no clue where to start to check for issues but its weird that this started after I adjusted the valves, though when I adjusted the valves the valves where 3 turns to tight on the flat head screw which is way to tight, so I am wondering if my cams and rocker arms have worn themselves down so much there's play in them now, if anyone has any idea that would be great and a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

If the cam and rocker arms were worn, the clearances would have been loose, not tight.

Normally on an OHC engine, the valves get tight (lessening tappet noise) and it's the cam chain that makes the most noise.

I can't help you much here, because it's impossible to diagnose "cyber" your problem. I advise you have a knowledgeable experienced mechanic listen to it and maybe do a quick check of the valves (a quick check does not require feeler gauges - the tappet caps are removed, the engine is positioned near TDC of the compression stroke and the tappets are just felt by hand for excessive clearance) - another thing that can be done is with the tappet caps removed, start the engine and see how loud the noise is. I have seen tappet screws contacting the inside of the caps and make a horrible noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Here 2 help For This Useful Post:
Gunned_400ex (10-09-2018)
post #3 of 3 Old 11-12-2018, 03:41 PM

Cam chain and cam chain tensioner may also be shot. I'd be pulling that motor apart before starting it any further. Are you positive to you set the valve lash correctly by making sure to pay attention to mm settings vs inch settings? Just something basic to check on.

Again, I'd pull the valve cover and have a look, your cam chain could be shot, or the tensioner could be not working, which can cause serious damage if your start jumping time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode