TRX 450R Brake pad replacement - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-27-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

TRX 450R Brake pad replacement

I will finally have to replace my brake pads after 18,200 mls.
What brand brake pads replacement is everyone using?
I usually go with EBC, they have held up well in my other bikes, but seem kind of expensive at $37 a pair times three for my bike.
This time I want to try cheap brake pads replacement for my 2010 TRX450R.
Is it okay to buy Foreverun Motor Brake Pads ?
Do you have any recommendations ?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I use EBC almost exclusively, but I have also used SBS, OEM, Dunlop Pad, BikeMaster and others just for comparison. What I have found is that regardless what brand is selected, the cheap pads stop with less pressure and wear out faster - the more expensive pads last longer, but take more pressure and are harder on rotors.

If you are on a budget, get the cheapest Chinese pads you can find - you might have to dress them a bit with a file for an easy fit, but they will stop you just fine.

If you don't want to replace the pads every year, buy the more expensive pads and replace them every 2 or three years.

The times I'm throwing out are based on my experience - on my dirt bike, I go through about 2 sets (front and rear) of $45 pads twice a year - on my TRX400EX I go through 1 set of front and 2 sets of rear $20 brake pads every couple of years, but I replace my pads before they are metal on metal - most people probably wonder why I'm replacing 'perfectly good pads' - I replace them because they are what I consider worn out. I also 'bed' my pads in properly - most people do not know about bedding - bedding the pads will make them last longer. Bedding is breaking them in. When brake pads or shoes are new, they are soft and the adhesive is not 100% cured. Bedding makes the pads fit the imperfections (ridges) on the rotor or drum, tempers (hardens) the brake material and completely cures the adhesive holding the material to the steel.

To bed the brakes, you want to get brakes hot without overheating them - accelerate to about 1/2 throttle in high gear and stop as fast as you can without locking the brakes using all the brakes - do this about 5 times in quick succession and then let the brakes cool for about an hour. Your new brakes are now bedded in and will stop better and last as long as they were intended to last. If the pads have any defects or if the adhesive is sub-standard, the defect will be exposed and you can get a replacement pad and bed them in again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode