400ex Oil help - Honda TRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

400ex Oil help

I changed my oil, and the oil out of the crank was dirty and the oil in the tank was clean and new looking. Oil filter was 100% dry. Anybody have a clue what i going on? The filter was installed the right way, that was my first concern. It has been runnng fine since the top end rebuild this was the second oil change since i did the top end. Only about a tank of gas ran through it so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

My first thought would be the oil lines on the engine are reversed - it's trying to pick up oil out of the return line and pump back into the tank through the pick up line

Check the depiction and see if your oil lines are attached to the clutch cover in the right locations
Attached Images
File Type: png Honda TRX400EX Oil Line Routing.png (943.1 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Man i wish it was that simple, got home and checked and it is hooked up correct. Thank you though. I pulled all the oil lines and blew through them and they are definilty clear, the strainer from the tank is clean too. Can the oil cooler get clogged? Or does anyone know the symptoms of the pump going out. the pump is pretty simple, cant imagine it failing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

If the oil pump is bad, you won't have any oil pressure - the dry oil filter concerns me - oil goes from the pump into the filter before it goes anywhere else - if it's not getting to the oil filter it's not going anywhere else.

The oil pump is two sided - the high pressure low volume side pumps oil from the tank, through the oil filter to the various parts of the engine - the low pressure high volume side pumps oil from the engine sump to the oil cooler and then back to the tank.

Easy to check for pressure, but messy - get into an open area where an oil spray or pool won't hurt anything; take the oil filter cover off and stand on the LH side of the vehicle - start the engine - oil should shoot out of the lower hole near the outer edge of the filter cavity - no oil, shut the engine down immediately! Oil is supposed to enter the filter cavity, pass through the filter from outside to inside - once inside the filter, it is pushed into the center of the oil filter cover where it is directed into the hole above the hole where it enters the oil filter cavity. From there it goes to various parts of the engine.

Did you have the clutch cover off when the top end was rebuilt?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Just put oil in it and took off the oil filter cover, started it up and no oil at all came up. So i gues it must be my oil pump. I blew every oil line out and also blew through the oil cooler and it was clear. Andy Yes i did have the clutch cover off when i rebuilt it

Last edited by AndyArchdale; 02-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

It probably is not the oil pump (I've never seen a bad one yet), but I have seen oil pump drive gears left out, not turning for some reason and the special O-O-O o-ring that goes between the pump and the cover missing or damaged. Also, did you install a new clutch cover gasket or try to cheap it by using silicone seal? If you used silicone seal, there's a possibility that it clogged an oil passage.

Let me know what you find as they're pretty bullet proof.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I did use a gasket but i used some gasket sealer also, I tend to overkill things. I wlll take it apart today and post back with my findings. The weird part about it is that after the rebuild i did the initial break in and changed the oil and filter and it definilty had oil in the filter then. But on this second oil change nothing
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok it looks like the oild pump gear isnt catching on the other gear. Not sure why, it almost looks like they just dont match up like they are suppose to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6944.JPG (37.7 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Did you have that gear off? It should be marked OUT on the side you can see. It might be on backwards.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

The oil pump gear just says KCY on one side, i flipped it around but it still doesnt mate up very well. It kinda catches but not very well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode