2013 recon difficult/impossible to shift into reverse - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2013 recon difficult/impossible to shift into reverse

Have a 2013 Recon ES, have owned since new. At some point shifting into reverse became very difficult, in a mechanical sense. After pushing the red R button, I needed to pull very hard on the brake lever in order for the electric downshift to click into reverse. Eventually it stopped working, but I was able to get it working again by twisting one of the wingnuts quite a few times on the back of the atv, tensioning one of the lines. I believe it ended up tightening the left brake really excessively though. However, at that point the reverse shifting actually worked again, but the brake was far too tight and not effective, so couldn't keep it that way. Does this given anyone any sense of what could be the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

The 'Reverse Assist' cable needs to be adjusted - there are 2 cables on the LH lever, one goes to the rear brake and has a wing nut adjuster, the other goes to the reverse lock out lever - the lever is intended just to set the rear brake when parking (read the owners manual) - the other cable is actuated when you push the red button down and set the brake - this facilitates shifting into reverse.

You need to adjust the wing nut on the cable going to the hand lever so when the lever is locked, the vehicle will not roll if on an inclined surface - with the parking brake adjusted, press the red button down and set the parking brake - now adjust the reverse cable to properly operate the reverse lock lever and allow shifting into reverse.

I am going to delete your duplicate post.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2 help View Post
The 'Reverse Assist' cable needs to be adjusted - there are 2 cables on the LH lever, one goes to the rear brake and has a wing nut adjuster, the other goes to the reverse lock out lever - the lever is intended just to set the rear brake when parking (read the owners manual) - the other cable is actuated when you push the red button down and set the brake - this facilitates shifting into reverse.

You need to adjust the wing nut on the cable going to the hand lever so when the lever is locked, the vehicle will not roll if on an inclined surface - with the parking brake adjusted, press the red button down and set the parking brake - now adjust the reverse cable to properly operate the reverse lock lever and allow shifting into reverse.

I am going to delete your duplicate post.
I was able to find the reverse cable endpoint under the bike. It had the two adjustment nuts (one adjust nut and one lock nut), and had not been adjusted before, according to a green marking across the pieces. I do feel like I tried the reverse-brake pull before and the lever did not move, so I adjusted the nut outward from the lever substantially, about a half an inch. I then did the reverse-brake pull and it moved the lever hard to its limit. With the machine running, I tried going into reverse and was actually able to get it to in on 2nd or 3rd attempt. However only once, and not again. I tried putting the reverse cable adjustment nut back toward its original spot, and the lever is still moving, a bit cleaner. I could not get it to go into reverse again no matter where I adjusted the nuts. The reverse lever moves fully on pull.

I also tested the battery while I was there, and it is reading a strong charge voltage, with no problems shifting upwards and back down while moving. Is there a next step to this reverse fix? I've heard the neutral switch sensor is sometimes related?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode