2005 TRX 450R dies after warm - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

2005 TRX 450R dies after warm

Hey guys having an issue with my bike, when its cold hit the choke and it fires up 2nd or 3rd kick. As it starts to warm up it will pop a bit then start missing, It will eventually stall. It does start up again but after a fair bit of kicking. When it does fire up it will sometimes idle for a bit other times it will die unless the throttle is being held open then it will run but miss fires. have checked the jets and they are clean leaning more towards electrical. I have a good meter just not for measuring peak voltage. I was thinking coil but the ohms are pretty standard at 9 k hot and cold. leaning towards stator. any input or testing methods

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Try a new spark plug first and a new spark plug cap second - since it runs it's not likely the CDI unit, tests on the stator require a peak voltage tester

You need to determine if it is losing spark or is a fuel issue - a pinched fuel line, clogged fuel tank vent, clogged float bowl vents or a defective petcock would restrict fuel flow - it would start and run till the float bowl emptied and then sputter and die - after a minute or two, the fuel would partially fill the bowl again and it would start and run a short time and die again.

Remove the fuel tank and connect a portable fuel supply to the carb, connect a timing light or spark tester to the spark plug wire, start the engine and see if the spark gets intermittent - if the spark is steady, then it may be a fuel problem - if it runs fine on the portable fuel supply, then find out why fuel is not getting from the tank to the carb.

Let me know what you determine.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

hooked up external fuel and an inline spark tester. runs as long as I hold the throttle, soon as I let off it dies like turning a switch. when kicking the spark appears week and intermittent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like a stator problem, but I'd hate for you to get a new one and find out the problem is something else. Sometimes you just have to try to eliminate all else and then grab your ass and take a chance and hope for the best - or spend the money and get the required test equipment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode