1991 Honda trx250x no spark - Honda TRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

1991 Honda trx250x no spark

Ok I currently have gotten a 1991 honda trx250x I have replaced the ignition coil, stator, pickup coil and cdi. I currently still have no spark. I have seen a lot about people saying disconnect the reverse switch and make a jumper from the grey to gray/black at the front of the frame along with the rest of the wires but I am unable to actually locate the reverse switch itself. It is said to be under neith of the brake pedal but I can not find it. I personally do not know what this switch looks like but I have looked all over for any type of gray wire around that area and found nothing. Any help to finding my no spark problem or the reverse switch problem would be greatly appreciated thank u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Also if anyone knows how to bypass the kill switch that would be helpful to eliminate that as a possibility
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

To bypass the kill switches simply disconnect the black wire with the white stripe coming out of the CDI box.

The ignition system is very simple - the black/red wire from the alternator provides AC voltage to the CDI box -the blue/yellow wire from the pulse generator triggers the CDI to fire the coil - the black/yellow wire carries the voltage from the CDI unit to the coil - the gray wire goes to the reverse switch to limit the engine RPM when in reverse - the green/white wire at the CDI box is ground.

The most overlooked part of the ignition system is the AC regulator - if the regulator goes bad, you can lose spark - only two tests for the AC regulator (other than replacement with a known good unit) is to unplug it to see if you get spark and if no spark, leave it unplugged and ground the green wire side of the coil to see if you get spark - if you get spark either way, replace the regulator.

Other than that, checking connections will usually find the problem - when I say checking connections, with the black/white wire unplugged, you have to check continuity of each wire from end to end and if the connectors are making connection within the multi-pin plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the advice. I will try that all in the morning, when u say the alternator is that the stator? Or is it something else?
post #5 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Also any idea where the reverse switch is on this type of quad?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

The stator is the winding part of the alternator and the alternator is both the stator and the flywheel together. To be precise, the stator is the winding, the flywheel is the rotor and the two parts together are the alternator, but in the world of mechanics, regardless of the term used we know that one is useless without the other, so....... They are considered the same thing until we separate them. The output of the stator is the same as the output of the alternator. The only thing the rotor does is carry the magnets that cause the stator to generate an output and the pulse generator to generate a spike of voltage.

The reverse switch is on the clutch cover just in front of the reverse lockout operator.

Question; where did you get the new CDI? Are you sure it is an AC activated unit and not a DC unit?

Last edited by Here 2 help; 07-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for ur help, that all makes more sense now. And the cdi was switched from another matching quad that runs
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I tried another stator and pickup coil to see if others were bad, no spark. Bypassed ignition switch no spark. Ur saying that if I just completely unplug that regulator and then kick it over if I get spark it's bad?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the ac regulator with another one from another running matching quad, any other ideas would be appreciated
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Nope - now you are down to flywheel timing, magnet strength, good vs defective parts and wiring connections.

One time I had to make my own wiring harness eliminating all unnecessary connections - got spark and then chased down the bad wire by swapping connections one at a time - it required removing the terminal pins from the multi-pin plugs so wires could be replaced one at a time - PITA, but I got it fixed.

One time I had a bad flywheel on a Yamaha Warrior, but that's one bad flywheel in 40 years of working on these things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode