05 stock trx450r carb leaking - Honda TRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By javman5000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

05 stock trx450r carb leaking

Hi my carb keeps leaking fuel from the over flow and I rebuilt the carb twice and got a new oem float as well and it still leaks. I think the float valve isnít seating correctly. Is there a way to fix the seating of the valve or adjust the float? Stock float doesnít have adjustments. Iím ready to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javman5000 View Post
Hi my carb keeps leaking fuel from the over flow and I rebuilt the carb twice and got a new oem float as well and it still leaks. I think the float valve isnít seating correctly. Is there a way to fix the seating of the valve or adjust the float? Stock float doesnít have adjustments. Iím ready to sell it.

Replace the needle and seat. Or just the needle valve if the seat isn't replaceable. Also dont use the cheap ass carb kits off ebay and such. I've used at least a dozen of them and 4 or 5 of them had a needle valve/seat that didn't work. So, no more of those for me. OEM only. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm I did put an aftermarket moose racing float valve. I will order an oem needle and see if that helps. The seat looks like itís pressed on and no way of removing it and itís brass. Iíll start with replacing float valve and post the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javman5000 View Post
Hmmm I did put an aftermarket moose racing float valve. I will order an oem needle and see if that helps. The seat looks like itís pressed on and no way of removing it and itís brass. Iíll start with replacing float valve and post the outcome.

I think that the oem needle will fix the problem. Make sure the seat is clean, tho. I use a small round wire brush and some brake kleen to clean it. Like I said I've used the cheap stuff i:e Moose, Sumo, Shindy, etc for carb kits, no more tho. I just finished a Yamaha tw200 that had a carb issue. Used a cheap kit, fought and fought with it, finally ordered oem needle and seat.....done. Finally got it right yesterday! Now onto the trx 450.
Thanks for manual.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I already ordered the float valve, apparently the seat is not replaceable.

hondanutz likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

No, the seat is not replaceable, it is part of the carb - inspect the hole the needle seats into with a magnifying glass for minor defects (scratches, pitting or foreign material embedded into the edge of the hole) if there is a defect, it can be repaired by dropping a bearing ball into the seat and tapping the ball against the hole to bevel the edge of the hole slightly and smooth the edge. Also, if the fuel inlet filter is missing, it would be wise to put one in there. Finally, is it leaking all the time, just when it's running or just when it's setting?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

It leaks more frequently when itís running, then drips when itís at idle. I ordered oem needle valve to see it that does the trick and will hit the seat with rubbing compound, if that fails Iíll just order a new carb, havenít had any luck with local shops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda TRX Forum > Honda TRX Discussions > TRX General Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode