Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 honda 400ex with a hmf slip on and k&n air filter, i used Belray thumper 4 stroke oil racing synthetic 10w40, from one ride i burned a lot of the oil. Im thinking about using Rotella triple T 15w40 heavy duty diesel oil any thoughts on that?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
First, synthetics are slicker than petroleum oil and will get past the rings easier. My 2007 was first broken in with petroleum oil and then switched to synthetic within the first month. It typically uses about 200cc during a 2 hour ride. The owners manual cautions that oil consumption on my model is normal. It is a factory race design engine and only has a 2 ring piston.

Taking into account that the vehicle has a K&N filter, but not knowing how long it has run with a K&N and allowing that it is a 2001 and perhaps has never had new rings on the piston, I would venture that it needs new rings.

The Rotella oil has an API rating that includes gas engines and the ratings include SL, SM, SH and SJ. Honda recommends no higher than SJ or a JASO rating of MA or MA2. Using it will not hurt your engine, but it may not reduce the oil consumption either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok i will definitely take that into consider and check my piston rings. Yeah i know 400ex are known for burning oil, but for 15 a quart for the belray ill pass and happily use the rotella oil no problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.