Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i went out to my local trails with a buddy and we came across a small river. me being the idiot i am decided it would be a good idea to cross the river, long story short i nearly made it until i hit a steep bank on the river side that caused me and the bike to do a flip and we both landed in the river.

i turned her back on and kept giving it gas to make sure no water got into the exhaust. but my air box was filled with water. after we got it out, it can kind of choppy, (WOT kept sputtering and almost dying out). But she stayed on and we decided to go back but the only way back was to cross the river again and yes it flipped again this time completely over, we flipped it back as fast as possible and again it turned back on but died shortly after i got it out of the river.

when i got back home i took apart the carb cleaned it up cause i figured it was that was what was causing the problems. so when i went to start it up, it fired right up but would only run with the choke in the on position yesterday i did an oil change and the oil was very thin and a grey color. after the oil change i ran it again and the same results, when i checked oil again it was back to grey.

now im a little stumped with what to do next. if anyone has a suggestion please let me know thanks

-Ray

·
Super Moderator
3,759 Posts
Grey usually indicates water - imagine grey oil clinging to all the parts inside the motor - you put in fresh oil and run the motor - the new oil washes most of the grey oil off the parts and in the process becomes grey also - the only thing you can do is run it to get it hot, drain the oil, leave the motor open till it cools down, hopefully most of the water will evaporate so the next fill of oil does not turn quite as grey - repeated flushing will clear it up

While you are letting the oil drain and the engine cool down, take time to take out the air filter and service it. The crankcase vents into a water trap and then into the intake duct - take it off, empty it and flush it with denatured alcohol to get all the water out. Check that the air box drain is capped and drain the air box if there's any water in it. Not running without choke is a carb issue - clean it again and make sure all the passages are clear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts