Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 400ex that i recently just changed the top end gaskets on. While doing so, i dropped the cam chain down in the motor so i got it out or whatever. when i go to put back on the clutch cover the lever on the engine would not engage with the push pin. So i watched a video on it and i did exactly what the guy did. i began tightening the bolts and the push rod broke so i ordered and new one. I also ordered a new center clutch because i noticed that one had pretty bad wear on it. i install the new parts and i get the cover back on and it was doin the same thing. i got it on using a Mallet. it seems like it’s engaged but at the same time it seems like it’s stuck completely. i can’t pull in the pull in the clutch so i ordered a new clutch cable. i also noticed that when the quad is off i can only put it in first gear before i could put it in all the gears while it was off. prior to all of this i would go riding and the clutch would start sticking

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
The 'push pin' is a lifter - it lifts the pressure plate to release the clutch. Got to view more than one you tube video - there are a lot of people making vids and providing both misleading and just flat wrong information. There are some that are correct too.

First - no mallet is required or recommended to install the clutch cover

The spring on the release arm shaft should move the arm counterclockwise - as the cover is installed, the arm is rotated clockwise to engage the lifter and pull the cover onto the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if i put the cover on normally the lifter arm won’t Engage it seems like something is stoping it

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
The arm has to be rotated as the lifter piece engages the shaft.

Take the pressure plate off and insert the lifter into the clutch release shaft and observe how the shaft pulls the piece into the cover - when you discover what position to have the release arm in as the lifter piece engages the release shaft, then hold the release arm in that position, put the cover on and rotate the arm clockwise - as long as you hold the release arm, the cove will be held against the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
I don't know what you could have done up to screw up the shifting - the shift mech is in the left half of the engine and only the shift lock is located on the right side. You have to either turn the wheels or have the crankshaft moving to shift through all the gears - it's a remote possibility that all the gears would be in alignment to allow shifting through all the gears without movement, but every so often all the planets align, so it's not impossible. If you rotated either of the transmission shafts while working on it, the gears would not be in perfect alignment and one of the two shafts has to turn slightly to facilitate shifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts