Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there Valve Spring Seats that have to be installed between bottom of spring and head?? Schematics show them but when I disassembled mine to put new valves and clean up the head there is none.. Mine is bone stock as well so I confused..

Than I look at some of the kits available for rebuilds etc. and some show them and some don't..

I put my head back together without them after putting new valves and seals but now I am questioning wether I should attempt to run it..

Thoughts???

John T

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Yes, it should have them.

The spring seat is a steel washer that keeps the spring from wearing into the soft aluminum head. They're easy to miss and still be there. Oil film will hold them in place even when washed in solvent. I use a stick magnet and run it in circles around the valve guide to get them to come out. If the head has never been worked on before, they are probably there.

All the parts breakdowns I have seen show them, but few spring kits include them. Look at this breakdown World of Powersports' 2003 Honda TRX400EX Sportrax | CAMSHAFT W/ VALVE Parts List

It will run fine without them, but over the long term it will damage the head if they are not there.

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Yes, it should have them.

The spring seat is a steel washer that keeps the spring from wearing into the soft aluminum head. They're easy to miss and still be there. Oil film will hold them in place even when washed in solvent. I use a stick magnet and run it in circles around the valve guide to get them to come out. If the head has never been worked on before, they are probably there.

All the parts breakdowns I have seen show them, but few spring kits include them. Look at this breakdown World of Powersports' 2003 Honda TRX400EX Sportrax | CAMSHAFT W/ VALVE Parts List

It will run fine without them, but over the long term it will damage the head if they are not there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.