Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (kid and I) were riding today, and when he pulled up to the barn, he thought he was having trouble putting it into neutral because he wasn't seeing the light.

He shut it off, and I went to look at it. The neutral light, indeed, didn't work, neither did anything else. No lights, no starter, nothing.

I checked to see if the battery might have taken a dump, but the voltage is good.

What should I do next to test this thing? I'm guessing bad ignition switch or CDI. Any good way to go about tracing this down? I did go and make sure all the connections were tight above the left front tire. Still, no joy.

I checked the fuse near the battery. It had continuity.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
CDI is for ignition - it has nothing to do with power getting to the rest of the system.

Unplug the key switch and check for 12 v between the red wire the engine - if there is no voltage on the red wire, move the engine connection to the neg side of the battery - if you now measure 12 volts on the red wire, repair the connection on the neg side of the battery - if there is 12 volts on the red wire to the engine, jump the red wire to the black wire at the key switch connector and if the system powers up, replace the key switch. Note: if the system powers up and you start the engine with the key switch unplugged, you can only kill the engine using the handlebar switch or by removing the jumper between red and black and jump the blk/wht wir to the green wire.

The system is powered up by getting 12 volts on the black wire (black is switched 12v positive) and the spark is killed by grounding the ignition (blk/wht wire to ground) - ground is not battery negative, but the battery negative is connected to ground. If the battery negative is not connected to ground and you connect the blk/wht wire to the battery negative while the engine is running, the engine will not die; but connecting the blk/wht wire to the frame, engine or the green wire will cause the engine to die.

Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read and re-read your post.

You say to check for 12v at the red wire and engine? You mean to put + lead into the red connector and the - lead to where? Isn't that ignition connector a 3 or 4 pronged connection?

Sorry for my confusion & ignorance.

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
Using a meter or a test light check for voltage (power) between the red wire at the ignition switch and the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using a meter or a test light check for voltage (power) between the red wire at the ignition switch and the engine.
Thanks. Did you mean just to touch the - lead to the physical engine itself to test for ground?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I posted the culprit on another thread, accidentally.

But here was the issue:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts