Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my carb keeps leaking fuel from the over flow and I rebuilt the carb twice and got a new oem float as well and it still leaks. I think the float valve isn’t seating correctly. Is there a way to fix the seating of the valve or adjust the float? Stock float doesn’t have adjustments. I’m ready to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi my carb keeps leaking fuel from the over flow and I rebuilt the carb twice and got a new oem float as well and it still leaks. I think the float valve isn’t seating correctly. Is there a way to fix the seating of the valve or adjust the float? Stock float doesn’t have adjustments. I’m ready to sell it.

Replace the needle and seat. Or just the needle valve if the seat isn't replaceable. Also dont use the cheap ass carb kits off ebay and such. I've used at least a dozen of them and 4 or 5 of them had a needle valve/seat that didn't work. So, no more of those for me. OEM only. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm I did put an aftermarket moose racing float valve. I will order an oem needle and see if that helps. The seat looks like it’s pressed on and no way of removing it and it’s brass. I’ll start with replacing float valve and post the outcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmmm I did put an aftermarket moose racing float valve. I will order an oem needle and see if that helps. The seat looks like it’s pressed on and no way of removing it and it’s brass. I’ll start with replacing float valve and post the outcome.

I think that the oem needle will fix the problem. Make sure the seat is clean, tho. I use a small round wire brush and some brake kleen to clean it. Like I said I've used the cheap stuff i:e Moose, Sumo, Shindy, etc for carb kits, no more tho. I just finished a Yamaha tw200 that had a carb issue. Used a cheap kit, fought and fought with it, finally ordered oem needle and seat.....done. Finally got it right yesterday! Now onto the trx 450.
Thanks for manual.

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
No, the seat is not replaceable, it is part of the carb - inspect the hole the needle seats into with a magnifying glass for minor defects (scratches, pitting or foreign material embedded into the edge of the hole) if there is a defect, it can be repaired by dropping a bearing ball into the seat and tapping the ball against the hole to bevel the edge of the hole slightly and smooth the edge. Also, if the fuel inlet filter is missing, it would be wise to put one in there. Finally, is it leaking all the time, just when it's running or just when it's setting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It leaks more frequently when it’s running, then drips when it’s at idle. I ordered oem needle valve to see it that does the trick and will hit the seat with rubbing compound, if that fails I’ll just order a new carb, haven’t had any luck with local shops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, ordered new oem float and float valve. Then I hit the seat with a Q-tip and some compound to clean the surface and it worked! No more leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts