Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Honda rancher 350 4x4 electric shift isn't working and will not start. The problem first surfaced as intermittent operation from the electric starter, then complete electric starter failure and the "N" flashing three times. Replaced angle position sensor, no change. Checked continuity in accordance with service manual, read .2ohms higher than the manual calls for across the angle position sensor from the ECU plug (could just be the my crummy multimeter). Got as far as I could without the ECU diagnostic plug, voltage and continuity in the wiring checked out fine.
Out of curiosity, I started tapping on the shift control motor with a wrench while holding on the start button in, this actually would allow it to crank over!
She will rope start and run, but shifting is out of the question, and the same "N" three blinks fault occurs. I am really leaning towards the shift control motor as the issue here, but would really like to hear some more takes on it! Let me know what you think!

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
The most common problem on these machines involves the wiring harness connections.

You don't need the ECU diagnostic plug - just "back probe" the connector with a straight pin.

The only thing common between the starting circuit and the shifting circuit is the neutral indicator. The blinking "N" indicates a shift problem. The vehicle will not start in gear unless a brake is applied and the ECU sees the input from the brake switch. If your vehicle has a brake light it is easy to determine if the brake switch is working by watching the light.

First thing to do is erase the shift fault indicator from memory (N blinking). With the transmission in neutral and the parking brake set, turn on the ignition switch, while the "N" is flashing, press and hold both the upshift and downshift buttons on simultaneously and hold for at least 3 seconds. This will erase the fault codes. With the fault erased, turn the switch off, wait a few seconds, turn the switch on and see if the code reappears. Flashing 3 times indicates a faulty angle position sensor, but this should not have anything to do with starting..

For the starter, first make sure the 15 amp "light" fuse is good. Does the starter relay (solenoid) close? Put a test light or meter on the terminal going to the starter motor. Press the switch. Relay closes but no voltage - bad relay. Jump the relay with a 6ga or heavier wire (or a heavy screwdriver or similar object) - starter spins - starter is good - replace the relay - starter does not spin - with relay jumped, tap starter with hammer handle or screwdriver handle - starter spins, starter is bad, replace starter motor.

This covers about 80% of the possibilities - happy hunting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! Looks like a bad starter. Relay is work, I didn't have anything to jump it with where it is located, but I did tap on the starter while hold in the button, which gets it turning every-time.

As for the angle position sensor, I replaced it, which made no difference even after resetting the fault codes. Wire connections are solid, need to get it home where I can work on it in-doors.

Here is something else for you, perhaps it ties into everything. I need to get the quad loaded up in order to get it to the garage. Without the ES working, I tried using the manual shifting tool but I cannot get it to move gears at all, despite rocking it and apply a lot of force to the shifter. Suppose ill use the come-a-long jack to get into the pickup bed.

All of this happened at the same time; however, it appears to be unrelated issues and just a run of bad luck. Either way, this quad is bumming me out.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Does your manual shift tool turn the shaft (even if just a little bit) or is the shaft frozen solid? If it turns freely in both directions, does it return to the center position (between shifting up and down)?

I've seen two different types of shifter failures. One is on the back of the engine and requires engine removal to fix. The other is on the front of the motor and can (sometimes) be fixed with the engine in the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once more, thanks for all your help! The manual shifter is froze solid, no movement at all. Got the quad back home, going to pull the shift drive motor off the front of the engine as a start. What should I be looking for in the motor/gears once its all opened up?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
If the manual shift is frozen, you will have to take the motor out to remove the rear cover to correct the problem.

When you take the shift motor off, apply 12 volts DC to it and it should run - reverse the voltage and it should run in the opposite direction. You might try leaving it connected to the wiring, use a jumper wire to ground the motor case to the engine and press the upshift and downshift buttons. If the buttons make the motor run, then you will probably end up taking the motor out to fix the problem. If the motor does not run by pressing the buttons, then the problem is probably electrical

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Followed your advice, the motor works fine when applying 12vdc on either side of it. Looks like I'm pulling the motor, and borrowing some tools. I'll let you know when I get that far, you've been great thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Pull the rear cover off first to inspect the manual shift mechanism to find out why it's frozen. The problem might be there without having to get into the front cover which is a bit more involved. Manual shifter is under the rear cover and electric shifter is in/under the front cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts