Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 250ex. Most times it doesn't want to start. Headlights work and there's a new solenoid on it. For some reason it just clicks. Sometimes I can start it by tapping the shifter down while starting it, and sometimes it will start when I kick down from first great to neutral and start it simultaneously. It runs fine once it starts. Could it be a ground?

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
It could be a ground or a starter motor that is just about done - if it's the starter motor; with it in neutral and the starter button pushed and the solenoid has closed (the click) - just tap the starter motor with a screwdriver handle, ratchet wrench or small hammer - if the starter spins when you tap it, then it's the starter motor - the clicking in gear may cause just enough vibration or parts rotation to make the starter motor work - if tapping it doesn't work then it is probably something else - check the torque on the motor mount bolts just to rule that out too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A buddy took a look at and tells me that I may need a new neutral switch. He tells me that we can bypass it for now. Does anyone have an info I could use on bypassing a neutral switch?

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Just connect the neutral switch wire to ground - neutral light will stay on, but if it works, ride it until a new neutral switch is obtained and installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts