Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quad starts up right away with no problem, but won't idle. I use the choke to start it up and let it warm up for a while (about 10-15 minutes). As long as I stay on the throttle it will run, but as soon as I let off it dies. It was sitting in the garage for about 3 months, so I drained the tank and cleaned out the carb. I also just put in a new spark plug and air filter. After all that it still won't idle. Any advice??????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does it put out off colored smoke?
Does it cough then die?
or does it act like you turned off the ignition?
How muck throttle do you need to give it to keep from dieing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No colored smoke and it doesn't cough before it dies. It just dies out like I turned off the ignition. It doesn't take much throttle to keep it going, but as soon as I ease off the throttle it dies.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
If turning up the idle screw doesn't fix it, take the carb off and clean it. When you say you cleaned the carb; was it a detailed cleaning using commercial soak solvent or did you just spray it clean?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told by a friend I didn't clean the carb good enough. I just sprayed it clean. I'm going to soak it and hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Soak it in What?
I know this is rather Red neck but actually Gas Works really good!
i would soak it overnight then take it apart and wipe it clean with a rag let it DRY OVERNIGHT BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK ON THE QUAD!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Good idea - spray cleaners are a waste of money - they just wash off the surface.

Don't use GAS. It runs in gas. Old gas was probably the cause of the problem. If GAS would clean it there would be no need to CLEAN it. Gas is highly flamable, can irritate the skin, is dangerous to inhale for long periods of time and leaves an oily residue behind.

I use Berrymans Carb Cleaner available at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $30 a gallon (dip basket included).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gas Works to clean the Dirt and Grease off of the mechanics and it does not leave a residue if you use my Recommendation of a RAG, and Also Gas is $4 bucks a gal not 30!,
Old gas would not cause the problem, unless there is a dirty of jammed part
If you Say Gas does not Work, i'm sorry but in my experience it has worked better than any expensive cleaners,
I stand by my recommendation I would Use Gas if it where my quad

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Sorry, First Responder, but you are wrong and irresponsible. While gas is $4 a gal, it evaporates and leaves behind the chemicals that was added to it during or after it was distilled. It is highly flammable and dangerous to use as a cleaning agent. The commercial solvent is not flammable, may be water soluble and can be reused many times.
Old gas causes all sorts of problems. Just trying to run an engine on old gas can do damage, like burning a hole in the piston or causing the engine to overheat.
I say GAS DOES NOT WORK! Other cleaners are safer, more effective and more economical. All trained mechanics will back me up on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts