Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent found a definate answer yet. I'm building a 2000 400ex into 416 and need some pointers. I bought the bike cheap (blown up) and have a little money to put into the motor. I wanted to make it into a 416 because reliability is my main concern, but I don't want to run race gas through it. Shell's V-power 93 octane gas has been good to me in the past and I was wondering if I could run 11:1 compression on 93 without detonation or would I be better off to go with the 10:1 piston. I've heard that a 10:1 416 might as well be a stock 400. I have to replace the sleeve anyway so would it be better off to just make it back into a 10:1 400. I'm also at a loss for the cam and jetting setup. I've heard a lot of good about the 450r carb but if i go sticking too much money into this I would be better off just getting a 450r. OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
A definite answer will be tough to get. You can bore to a 416 without sleeving, but I sleeved a 400 into a 440 with 11:1 cr, used the stock carb, an FMF exhaust and run Shell V-power with no problems.

The carb is only a mixer (it mixes fuel with air). There is no special advantage to using a 450 carb other than a little more top end RPM and a little less low end grunt. Properly jetted, you can run any type of carb your heart desires.

You can run a stock cam unless you want change specific engine characteristics. Hotcams' stage 1 gives you more low to mid range grunt than stock. It's best for agressive woods riding. A stage 2 is for MX riding giving you more mid to top end power and a stage 3 is for more top end than a stage 2. I used a stage 1 cam.

Hope this helps - happy building.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that helps me out some!! the last thing I want to do is order the 11:1 kit and be riding and put the bike under load and have it spark nock. as for the cams im still undecided I do alot of open trail riding its not hilly in illinois so there arent really any tight trails. Im leaning towards stage 2 hotcam this will lower the actual compression a little wont it? longer duration? thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts