Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

My 420 Rancher has been stalling lately. It only seems to do it when the engine is up to temp, and when it's cold outside. The first time it did it, I was getting ready to cross the street, I went from neutral to 1st gear, and it stalled out. And, I was out riding in the snow about 2 months ago, and it did the same thing.
So, yesterday I was plowing, and it did it. And just this morning I was plowing again, and it did once again.

I'm not really sure what it could be, I've had this quad for a little over a year now, and this is the first problem I've had with it. Completely stock by the way.

Any input would be awesome. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
First question is - which 420 Rancher do you have? Honda had 14 versions of the 420 Rancher - with carburetor or fuel injection - auto transmission or electric shift - the only thing they all had in common is they are all 4WD

VIN will narrow it down

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I am going to pick on the TRX420FA2-AC since there were only 5 models with power steering and only 2 with auto transmissions

First guess - you are using reg. grade fuel with a high content of alcohol - alcohol carries moisture and you might be getting icing on the fuel injector or in the throttle body.

Second guess - the valves might need to be adjusted

Third guess - you have a problem with the ECM which involves the ignition, transmission, fuel injection, engine temp. and ambient air temp. If the ECM is causing the problem, only a Honda shop with the factory diagnostic equipment can determine the actual cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.