Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the site first time post, So go easy on me. I just recently bought a 1985 250 fourtrax my son was riding it about 20mph if that fast ( we rode for about a 5 mile). It just locked up the rear wheels and the shifter would not move. I got it back home and found if I loosen the three bolts that hold the transition shaft to the drive shaft I could move the shifter and free up the rear wheels. as soon as I snug up the bolts it locks up. Wont let the kick start move but when bolts are loose it will start up and idle fine . Any info would be great not sure what to take apart with out messing it up more. Oh i forgot to say it sat for sever years before I got it.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum

First, there are no bolts holding the drive shaft (pictures of what you are loosening would most helpful) - I'm going to presume you are loosening bolt # 28? If so, you need to change shim # 10 to a thicker dimension, but unfortunately they are no longer available from Honda - they came in thicknesses from .20 to .50mm in .05mm increments.

If you loosened the three bolts (2 #12 and one #13), then you need to change shim #8 - there are still a few thicknesses available from Honda - the were offered in .80mm to 1.10mm in .05mm increments. .85, .90 and 1.10 are reportedly still available.

Part #4 was used on the FW models (four wheel drive) - all the other parts were the same
Font Line Parallel Auto part Schematic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir,
Yes I loosen up bolts 12, 13. Thank you for your help and the diagram. I can see what I'm working with now. So if I remove those three bolts the shim will be right there in the front. Is my local honda dealer the best place to buy the shims or is there a place online?

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Thank you sir,
Is my local Honda dealer the best place to buy the shims or is there a place online?
Either or both - you have to go wherever you can get the ones you need
You might try rockymountainatv.com - they are an honest vendor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts