Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I Just purchased a '86 Fourtrax 250 that runs (sort of) but needs some work. It has the carb shown below on it (will need rebuilt or replaced), but the choke cable is broken about an inch above the carb and is MIA. It has the choke on the electric thumb start. I am having trouble finding a new cable for it. I have always had engines/machines with choke levers controlled by a rod you pull out or push in. Does this use the same kind of cable? If not, and it can't be sourced, would I be better off replacing the carb with one that has the lever choke and adding the pull rod? Thanks for the help. Not new to engines ect, but this is my first 4 wheeler.

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
You can get a used OEM cable on EBAY from muffpowersports (I have bought from them and always got good used parts) or you can get a new aftermarket cable HERE or from Motion Pro (part number 02-0178) - you can also contact powersportsnation.com (Ph: 402-371-4002) and FYI, the OEM part number is 17950-HA8-770

My personal choice would be Motion Pro - available from most dealers and independent ATV repair shops - any of the cables should work with the POS Amazon carb that may fit, but you will have to jet to make it run properly - maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and get a carb that works without calibration (about 1 in 1000), but a cable is not a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get a used OEM cable
Thanks. Used is fine. I am new to the ATV thing. Any good sources for used parts?

I also saw the FourTrax 300's have the same choke setup. I was thinking that their cable would probably work

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
I just did an application search - that cable was only used on 86 and 87 TRX250's and the part number was superseded twice - original part number was 17950-HA8-680 which superseded to 17950-HA8-681 and ultimately became 17950-HA8-770

The 85 250 cable 17950-HA8-000 might work, but it is NLA also

In 87 the 300 was introduced - the choke cable might work and be longer - that cable was part number 17950-HC4-000 which became 17950-HC4-670 and ultimately 17950-HC4-671

I already gave you the sources for used parts - happy hunting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did an application search - that cable was only used on 86 and 87 TRX250's and the part number was superseded twice - original part number was 17950-HA8-680 which superseded to 17950-HA8-681 and ultimately became 17950-HA8-770

The 85 250 cable 17950-HA8-000 might work, but it is NLA also

In 87 the 300 was introduced - the choke cable might work and be longer - that cable was part number 17950-HC4-000 which became 17950-HC4-670 and ultimately 17950-HC4-671

I already gave you the sources for used parts - happy hunting
Gotcha, not sure how I missed all the other info the last time I looked. The carb shown in the pic is what is on it now. I am assuming that an OEM one would be the best. Do you usually source the OEM from a local Honda Motorsports shop, or is there a trusted online source you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
I buy direct from Honda, but the carb (part number 16100-HA8-682) was discontinued over 20 years ago - I usually rebuild the original carb and only replace when the original is unrepairable - when that happens, I resort to the Chinese counterfeit carb and tweak them as necessary to make them work. I would try to find a used carb and rebuilt it ahead of buying a new Chinese junk carb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buy direct from Honda, but the carb (part number 16100-HA8-682) was discontinued over 20 years ago - I usually rebuild the original carb and only replace when the original is unrepairable - when that happens, I resort to the Chinese counterfeit carb and tweak them as necessary to make them work. I would try to find a used carb and rebuilt it ahead of buying a new Chinese junk carb.
Okay. I am pretty sure Mine already has a knock off carb on it. I will probably try disassembling it and giving it a good cleaning. It runs with the carb currently, but definitely acts like it is dirty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts