Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my 1990 XR200R for an 87 Fourtrax today, was looking for something a bit easier for the wife and kids to play on in the woods. I met the guy in town, so i couldn't really ride it, plus it was easier just to back the trucks up and swap it onto mine. He did tell me that the rear brake pad came off inside the drum and was making noise. He gave me a new set of pads and the repair manual. I got home and took it off my truck, but when i went to drive, it made a loud grinding/thumping noise coming from the back and it would hardly move forward. I got off and had some friends help me push it in my shop, it did drive a bit better when we started pushing with no weight on it, but could it really just be the brake? The guy was older and seemed like a real honest guy (been then again, what stranger can you really trust that you meet off the internet) It sounds like the noise is coming from the opposite side that the drum is even on, almost like something isn't catching on the inside... Before i go ripping it apart, I figured I'd get some of your guys opinions. Thanks so much, B

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
A bit more information would be helpful - model and/or VIN

Judging only by the pics, my first guess would be the final drive needs bearings (at the least) or new pinion and ring gear (at the worst) - if this is a TRX350 or 350D (which I'm guessing it is) - I have seen many final drives go bad due to water getting into them. The cheapest fix is to find a used unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just checked and the tag says 1988 TRX300. I also rezlized another issue. When i start it, it will idle fine, but as soon as i give it gas, I'll rev It up a few times and then It dies... NO smoke or knocking from the motor, just them areas in the back when its in gear and moving.... I'll begin to take it apart later today.... Ugh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, i got the motor running as it should, but as fa as it moving, ugh. I've taken every bolt out on the drive shaft side, but can't figure out how to open it up to check the teeth on the shaft or gearing inside. This is my first time with anything without a chain on it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah on the tag on the frame it does say 88 and it's the 2wd version. I'll continue taking it apart tonight. Thanks so much for the help so far !! I've worked on bikes and wheelers for years, just not use to the shaft driven type.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks so much, that helps a ton. Especially since this is my first ever shaft-driven wheeler. Helps explain soooo much. Which end does the axle slide out? Brake side or shaft side? Cause i think i will have to at least cut that side off (re-weld after) just to get it out and into the rest of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Comes out the brake side - got to remove the brake drum and backing plate, then remove the lock nut and axle nut next to the final drive and using a block of wood and a sledge hammer - drive the axle out of the final drive towards the brake side - then you can remove the final drive from the swing arm

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
NO - the axle has to be from one of these TRX's
1988 Honda ATV TRX300 FOURTRAX 300
1988 Honda ATV TRX300FW FOURTRAX 4X4
1989 Honda ATV TRX300 FOURTRAX
1989 Honda ATV TRX300FW FOURTRAX 4X4
1990 Honda ATV TRX300
1991 Honda ATV TRX300
1991 Honda ATV TRX300FW

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks !

Well I'm still in talks with the previous owner and he is willing to help pay for and get what parts i need, since he didn't realize how much damage there really was when he traded it to me, so I'm just going to cut the the left hub off where it was cut and welded by the previous owner, pound it out and see what i find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I take it that in the second pic just above is where the bearing should of been. Also, i once everything was off, i started it up and i noticed that the drive shaft wasn't turning when i put it in gear? Maybe it all needs to be hooked up to spin or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This sure is turning into a bigger project then i would of liked haha Thanks so much for all your help! I actually think I'll be able to bring this thing alive once again as soon as parts start showing up ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.