Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1990 honda 200 trx mayhem

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Ragnar 
#1 ·
This trx is about to drive me crazy
I was not getting a spark to the plug so i changed the cdi and coil
When i plugged the new cdi up now my neutral and reverse light are staying on still no fire at the spark plug
The guy i got it from said it was running good when he parked it 4 years ago
On the cdi what wire is the kill wire
Im hoping i can disconnet it and see if it will fire
I can unplug the four wire plug and touch the coil feed wire with a test light and turn the engine over im getting fire there but when i hook the plug back up and turn the engine over im getting no fire to the coil
So im wondering if because the reverse light is staying on if thats why im not getting fire to the spark plug
I can shift it in gear the neutral light goes out but the reverse light stays on
Anyone have a clue what it is
Thank you for the help

#3 ·
My cdi has 6 wires the cdi i got from ebay was also 6 wire the description said it was for that model
But my old one was a little bigger then the one they sent me
Im not sure if my old one is ac or dc
The plug that plugs in the cdi on the small plug i have no volts going to it till i tur the engine over so i guess my old one is a ac cdi so is the o e they was suppose to send me
If my reverse switch was bad making the light come on it should still fire right
Or is it sending a signal to the cdi that its in reverse and its killing the power to the coil to prevent it from starting
Reason i got a new cdi and coil is because it was not firing at the spark plug
I dont know how to test the cdi or coil so im not sure they are bad or not
But when i put my old cdi on the reverse light goes off i put the new coil on with the old cdi the spark plug still dont fire
So i dont know

#5 ·
I disconnected the black with white strip off the cdi still no spark
On the white wire on the 4 wire plug i am getting 12 volts there
I put the old cdi back on with a new coil still no spark
Im about ready to take it to the pasture and use it for target practice lol
I would like to get this running fo my friend so his grand daughter can ride this summer

#6 ·
I know that you bought a cheap Chinese counterfeit CDI box and probably got it from Amazon - if buying electronic parts from Amazon, look up the part using the OEM part number, then buy 5 - if you find one of the 5 that works, send the others back or if you know by test results the CDI unit is actually bad, there is a NEW OLD STOCK CDI unit on EBAY for $150 CLICK HERE

#8 ·
Can anyone tell me how to test the old one
I put my meter on the diode setting and its not showing any continuity no beeps or the meters showing anything across all the terminals
I put a new cheap coil on still no fire so now im wondering if it the pulse not working
I know the staro seem ok i put a test light to it and turn the engine over and it lite the test light up
So still just working on getting it to fire

#9 ·
You can't test the components by continuity or resistance - the tests have to be dynamic at cranking speed - you need a peak voltage meter - the charge coil puts out about 45 volts peak, the pulse coil about 3 to5 volts peak, the CDI box puts out about 100 volts peak to the coil and the coil puts out about 35,000 to 45,000 volts peak

#13 ·
Well the good news i i did get it to crank it will run a few seconds then die so thats good but the neural lite is still on
Im hoping it the carb need cleaning its been sitting up for 4 years
Or could it be that its still the wrong cdi
Its still smaller then the one that was on it any thoughts on this
But like i said it did crank lol
Thank for all the help guys if it was not for everyone help the little thing would be in the wood with alot of bullet hole in it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.