Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Honda TRX 250X FOURTRAX Chain And Sprockets

I've owned this quad sine new, I need a new drive chain, so while I'm at it I might as well get new sprockets as well.
just asking if staying with stock steel style, or going with a alloy rear, will there be any noticeable differences?

Primary Drive Steel Kit & O-Ring Chain

Primary Drive Alloy Kit & O-Ring Chain

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
No noticeable difference other than the steel will outlast the alloy - I changed from alloy on my CRF and installed a Sunstar 'Z' sprocket and had a noticeable increase in power in deep mud due to the sprocket design. It was well worth the $80, but it is not available for the ATV. If you do much mud riding you can get a power increase in deep mud by getting a self cleaning design style of sprocket. PBI has a self cleaning alloy rear sprocket for $51 - o-ring chain absorbs some power especially at higher speed, but lasts much longer in sand, water and mud - any front sprocket is comparable - front sprockets are almost exclusively case hardened steel as the teeth contact the chain 10 times more often than the rear sprocket.

The RMATV kit you are looking at appears to include the PBI sprocket, but regardless of the brand, I think you will benefit from the installation of the kit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, was just wondering, I mean the stock steel had lasted this long, I will just get A replacement style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts