Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chaced no spark all over I have replaced coil,cdi,reverse inhibiter, stator, pulser, rectifier, wire harness i am completely lost with this i have power to the grey safty switch that goes over by the foot brake not sure if im supposed to also curious if i can bypass the whole reverse inhibiter itself

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Start at the beginning - do you have 12v+ on the blk/wht wire at the CDI unit? Do you have continuity to ground on the grn/wht wire at the CDI unit? The gray wire goes to the reverse switch - I believe simply removing the gray wire from the reverse switch will eliminate the reverse inhibitor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have 12v to the blk/wht wire have good cont to ground i did notice that light green wire to neutral or reverse safty switch has 12v and the other does not is there a way to bypass the nutral and reverse safty switches?

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
OK - the red wire from the battery goes to the key switch - when the key switch in on, it connects to the black wire - the black wire goes many places, but we are concentrating on ignition - the black wire goes to the handlebar switch where it connects to the black wire with a white stripe and (when the starter button is pushed) to the yellow/red wire which goes to the solenoid. If the lights work and the starter works, but there is no voltage on the blk/wht wire, you have a defective handlebar kill switch.

Jump 12v to the blk/wht wire and see if you get spark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok did not have power to black white wire so I jumped power to it still no spark now heres what I have on my inhibiter only wire that has power is gray/black line and black/ green rings on cdi only power is black/white line thats with key on

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Gray/black is the ground wire for the reverse light - it will have 12v on it unless you remove the reverse light bulb.

There is no blk/grn - there is a grn/blk (green wire with a black stripe), but it goes to the rec/reg.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking at the right wiring diagram - what is the VIN of your machine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is what I have i have 2 side by side and checked all wires to cdi and reverse inhibiter 1 will run and 1 that don't the difference i have is the gray/black wire on the reverse inhibiter on the running one has 12v

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
OK - the black wire is 12v when the key is on - the black wire goes to the reverse light, through the filament of the bulb to the gray/black wire - the gray black wire goes to a multi-pin connector and becomes a grey wire with a blue stripe (if this diagram is accurate - I have found errors in all service manuals) - you should have 12 on the grey/bl wire of the reverse limiter if the bulb is good, but the reverse module does not become active until the reverse light comes on by the grounding of unit via the gray wire which also grounds the CDI unit - remove the gray wire from the CDI unit and the reverse inhibitor should be defeated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m fighting the same no spark issue 1988 TRX250X It will start 1-3 days inn a row sometimes a week it will start by kicking it. Then I must tow it to get it to start. Then shut it off kick it and it will start 3,4,5x’s in a row then Nothing must tow it too start again. Very frustrating. Replaced CDI, AC Regulator, coil, Plug, stator. Still no change. I’m thinking fly wheel next. It’s so hit and miss it’s kicking my butt to diagnose. Starts every time when towed. Runs Excellent when running no issues at all. Shut it off and it’s a gamble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is i am curently ordering a new handlebar cluster with switches I've been told that they are notorious for the kill switch to go i dont want a hacked harness so going best route i can

1 - 14 of 14 Posts