Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new on this forum and I've got a problem with my 4 wheeler. I'm down to testing the stator. I'm not real good with this stuff so bear with me. I'm just trying to save some money . Okay, the green 3 wire plug from the stator reads .5 ohms on the green only, nothing on the yellow or the blue/yellow. Is it looking like I need a new stator?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
The green wire is ground - there should be no continuity between any of the yellow wires and ground.

The stator is simple to test - there is 6 wires to the stator - 3 yellow wires, a green, a yellow with a white stripe and a blue wire with a yellow stripe - green is ground - the blue/yel wire goes to the pulse generator - it is the only wire that should have continuity to ground - if it is open, you first need to remove the alternator cover and verify the blu/yel wire has continuity from one end to the other and is connected to the pulse coil - if the coil is open, you need a new pulse generator part number 30300-HA0-033 @ about $34 and most likely you will need a new gasket also - part number 11395-HC5-740 @ about $13.

I presume you already verified 12 volts on the blk/wht wire at the CDI unit and the neutral light works?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
If you are checking ohms - from the wire terminal to the engine is a resistance of the wire and the metal to which it is attached

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so no resistance on the yellow/ wht or the blue/ yellow points to what? Taking the stator cover off and checking further?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
First we need to clear up the definition of no resistance. I have a degree in electronics and to me no resistance mean continuity (zero resistance). For others that I have dealt with no resistance means no reading on the meter which constitutes infinite resistance (open circuit).

For this I refer to continuity (a continuous circuit) - continuity from the green wire to ground is good - continuity from the blu/yel wire to ground is good - continuity between any yellow wire (including yellow with a white stripe) and ground is bad, however continuity from any yellow wire and any other yellow wire is good.

Is this helpful?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you've been very helpful, so no ohm reading on the blu/ ylw wire tells me i have to take the cover off and check the other end. Thanks a lot , I will probably be back after i pull the cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts