Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an old TRX300FW that I saved from being scrapped about 5 years ago and refurbished everything except the engine and gearbox at the time because they seemed fine.

Over the last year or two I have noticed that it is getting a little random with gear changes, occasionally not going in and then coming in with a bang, but driving gently I can work around it.

More recently I have noticed that I am getting a clattering/chattering noise from the transmission particularly in the higher gears and on light load, it quietens or gets drowned out under full load.

It almost sounds like there is a loose shaft or bush or the gears are loose on a shaft.

Does this sound familiar?

I'm not sure on parts availability over here in the UK so slightly hesitant to rip the engine out and strip it down if it will be hard to find the parts for it.

Any feedback on possible issues and solutions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Super Moderator
4,761 Posts
I don't know about there, but in the US only one gear for the transmission is available. Of the 35 parts the transmission is comprised of, 21 parts are available and most of those 21 parts are ball bearings, thrust washers, bushings and snap rings. I would look for a used engine assembly or two to have enough parts to sort through for the best of each part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about there, but in the US only one gear for the transmission is available. Of the 35 parts the transmission is comprised of, 21 parts are available and most of those 21 parts are ball bearings, thrust washers, bushings and snap rings. I would look for a used engine assembly or two to have enough parts to sort through for the best of each part.
Thanks.

I think I may be able to get specific parts, just hesitant at ripping in to it to find a mass off issues. Was hoping that someone would have encountered similar sounding issues.

I have done a drain and filter of the oil, so will see what that looks like when I get back tonight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts