Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here.

I just got a 2000 400ex and its needing to have the top end rebuilt. I’m also new to the sport quads; I would like to know everyone's thoughts on what set up to do? Modifications around stock bore or big bore kit?

Purpose: I will be using this quad for fun out in the dirt and take it out to the dunes sometime. Doing wheelies of course is on top of the list.

Set up: I would like to have more power than stock since I am rebuilding the top end at least, (smokes a lot and want to clean up the quad since last owners did not). My biggest thing is what to go with for my purpose stated above.

My thoughts:
Since I am thinking of wheelies and dunes, I guess i'm looking for low to mid end power?

Bore- 440 big bores seem to over heat, so the 416cc and 426cc kits seem to be ok or stay stock bore and do performance stuff to the head?

Cams- stage 1 or 2 for the low to mid end power with my set up?

Carb- stock rejetted or 450 carb?

All thoughts are welcome, here to learn from y'alls experiences.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
For low end power a bigger bore - for upper end power, cam - stage 2 is good all round, stage three is all top end ad the cost of low end - a less restrictive exhaust will scavenge back some low end lost when cammed up - whether stock or FCR carb, it will have to be jetted for the flow characteristics of the engine with intake and exhaust mods - wheelies are easy, just change the gearing and get 'er up.

I suggest the 416 or 426 kit that way you can avoid having having the heavy sleeve installed, but for longevity, go with the 416 kit or the 426 with the heavy sleeve - note; both the 426 and 440 kits require a special head gasket (Cometic H0402027S) - bores up to 416 only need the stock head gasket.

Have fun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For low end power a bigger bore - for upper end power, cam - stage 2 is good all round, stage three is all top end ad the cost of low end - a less restrictive exhaust will scavenge back some low end lost when cammed up - whether stock or FCR carb, it will have to be jetted for the flow characteristics of the engine with intake and exhaust mods - wheelies are easy, just change the gearing and get 'er up.

I suggest the 416 or 426 kit that way you can avoid having having the heavy sleeve installed, but for longevity, go with the 416 kit or the 426 with the heavy sleeve - note; both the 426 and 440 kits require a special head gasket (Cometic H0402027S) - bores up to 416 only need the stock head gasket.

Have fun
Thanks for this info, helps a lot. Thinking more on the 426 side. Where would I get the heavy sleeve from? Can't really find any or if there is a 426 kit with the heavy sleeve.

With the 426 big bore, I guess the stage 2 cam would be good in it?

Should anything be done to the head or just leave it as it is (stock)?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Thanks for this info, helps a lot. Thinking more on the 426 side. Where would I get the heavy sleeve from? Can't really find any or if there is a 426 kit with the heavy sleeve.

With the 426 big bore, I guess the stage 2 cam would be good in it?

Should anything be done to the head or just leave it as it is (stock)?
The heavy sleeve has to be installed by a machine shop - Contact Kustom Kraft - they have or can get the sleeve and install it - if you include the piston or have them get the provide the piston, they will bore the cylinder and set the piston clearance to your specifications or the piston manufacturers specifications. You can order the heavy sleeve from LA Sleeve an possible get them to install it. You might find the sleeve on Ebay and then find a machine shop to install it. I myself just get Kustom Kraft to install the sleeve, but I bore the cylinder and set the clearance myself because I am more precise in the finish than most shops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heavy sleeve has to be installed by a machine shop - Contact Kustom Kraft - they have or can get the sleeve and install it - if you include the piston or have them get the provide the piston, they will bore the cylinder and set the piston clearance to your specifications or the piston manufacturers specifications. You can order the heavy sleeve from LA Sleeve an possible get them to install it. You might find the sleeve on Ebay and then find a machine shop to install it. I myself just get Kustom Kraft to install the sleeve, but I bore the cylinder and set the clearance myself because I am more precise in the finish than most shops.
Awesome. I didn't see anything but 440cc kits under honda but I'll give them a call and see what they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts