Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Honda recon for hunting it will not idle the same when you give it gas it come back to idle very slow the idles up fast by itself. turn it off starts right back up idles good then idles fast again. played with idle adj. screw works for a second then either cuts of or idles high again. bought new carb. installed it same problem any ideas what to do next. I've adj. valve, check timing mark, new gas, throttle cable seems fine, new air filter. runs fine under power just idle problem, compression is 125 psi. is that ok ? I work on boat motors all the time this thing has got me stumped. any help would be great thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The most common cause for the problem you describe is a problem with the cable or a vacuum leak. If you bought a new carb, are having the same problem and know without a doubt the cable or a vacuum leak is not the cause of the problem, return the carb and get your $365 back.

Try taking the cable off the slide, assemble the slide, spring and cap onto the carb. Start the motor and see if it idles correctly. You can accelerate the motor by reaching into the mouth of the carb with a small screwdriver and lifting the slide. If the problem disappears, the cable is causing the problem.

If the throttle cable is actually good, is routed correctly, has the proper amount of free play and you now know for a fact that the cable is not the cause, find the vacuum leak and fix it. Check the hose routing, a hose plugged into a wrong port can cause a vacuum leak. A cracked hose can cause the same thing and finally, if the float bowl does not vent properly, the fuel level may fluctuate and cause the problem.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that's great idea on the slide didn't think of that. i'll check my book for cable adj. to. I did think vacuum leak but new carb came with all new hoses but i'll check to see if there are any other old ones. will let you know thanks for the feed back great help. will talk to you soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.