Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to solve a intermittent spark problem on a 2000 Rancher ES. I've had a heck of a time trying to determine what's causing it to spark when pressing starter then again when I release the starter button. I've tried 2 different CDI, voltage regulator, ignition coil and spark plug. I just got a pick up coil and was trying to pull the recoil bolt off when I came to a stand still. I bolt being in the rear is a pain to get to but with extensions, I'm able to get a wrench on it. It will not budge. I soaked with PB Blaster, tried a pull bar, impact wrench and even heated bolt head with a torch. No movement at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for breaking this bolt loose ??

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Proper repair procedure is to remove the engine or the swing arm - unfortunately, you have found out what pressure washers are good for - remove that which it necessary to get to the bolt without hindrance and attempt to remove it with an impact tool - you will brobably twist off the bolt and then it will need to be removed by drilling incrementally larger until it is gone, then oversize the hole and repair it with a thread insert. It's what makes working on antiques interesting and fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proper repair procedure is to remove the engine or the swing arm - unfortunately, you have found out what pressure washers are good for - remove that which it necessary to get to the bolt without hindrance and attempt to remove it with an impact tool - you will brobably twist off the bolt and then it will need to be removed by drilling incrementally larger until it is gone, then oversize the hole and repair it with a thread insert. It's what makes working on antiques interesting and fun.
Thank you for your reply. I've read the manual and was aware of 'proper' procedure. I can get an impact wrench (with extension) on the bolt head without removing the engine. My impact is not moving the bolt at all at 125 psi. even after heating/cooling bolt head. Maybe a bigger impact ?? IDK

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I've read the manual and was aware of 'proper' procedure. I can get an impact wrench (with extension) on the bolt head without removing the engine. My impact is not moving the bolt at all at 125 psi. even after heating/cooling bolt head. Maybe a bigger impact ?? IDK
Eventually, you will break the bolt and then perhaps find out why it is so difficult to remove. With luck it might break free. You mention a bigger impact - what size impact are you using? You lose appx. 1/2 the torque of the impact with each extension you use and the longer the extension the less torque that reaches the bolt. I use a 1/2" drive air impact at a low setting for small bolts and step it up a couple numbers for larger bolts - I have two identical 1/2" impact tools and one has more torque than the other at the same setting. My compressor is set at 150 psi. I have two 3/8" impact tools that I don't use much and I use a cordless electric drill with a screw driver setting (clutched) and a hammer drill setting. I use the drill on the screw driver setting to install and tighten screws upon assembly. Not much resists the 1/2" impact tool and it will remove the head of stubborn bolts allowing removal of the object desiring to be removed and prepping the threaded portion of the bolt for ultimate removal and repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm using, 1/2" air impact @ 125 PSI The difference must be the extensions. My impact usually does the job. I see no choice now. I'm thinking it's easier to drop the rear end. Thank you for your advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts