Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this has been asked already...

Rebuilding top end on 2000 Honda TRX 400 that has been bored to 29mm. What are the torque setting for the 4 main head bolts and on the small bolts on valve cover?

thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
29mm is smaller than the OEM 85mm bore - if you bored it to 89mm (435cc), I hope you had the heavy sleeve installed - it is guaranteed the sleeve will break if the stock sleeve is bored to 89mm.

Anyway, the 4 10mm cylinder bolts torque to 33 to 35 ft lbs in a criss-cross pattern in 3 stages - I usually go 15, 25, 35 - the two 6mm bolts on the outside bottom of the cam chain well torque to 70 to 76 inch pounds.
The 4 head stud nuts torque to 33 to 35 ft lbs in 3 stages in a criss-cross pattern
The 8 mm bolt in the rocker cover torques to 18 ft lbs in one stage and the 6mm cover bolts all torque to 70 to 80 inch pounds. Although they do not have a specified pattern, I always start with the two bolts nearest the spark plug and work my way around the cover toward the rear alternating from left to right until they have all been tightened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts